Can't get the stove hot enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of which, BY MISTAKE, I have done. Trust me, it will scare the CRAP out of you and is dangerous.

Fear puffback.

I had a unique speriance'...middle of winter during a storm, stove is CRANKIN'...the wind outside was blowing pretty good so I was keeping an eye on it so it didn't get too rowdy. Anyhow, I hear the typical "pings & twangs" of a stove warming up or cooling down...except it was already hot and shouldn't be cooling down. I looked over and the fire DIED...very big puzzlement indeed. I got up thinking of the possibilities and got almost to the stove VAAAWOOOOOMP....scared the crap outa me and the wife. Still baffled and waiting for it to happen again I picked up a flashlight and went out to see if the cap mysteriously became plugged. Nope. Ran back in and the fire was still struggling. Ran back out and whaala...the cleanout door jostled opened from the wind and I lost draft. I shut the door and made sure it was latched good, ran back in and the stove was operating almost normally again but with more flame than it should have. A little more snooping and I found that the little puffback blew a gaskets out of one of the doors!!.

It can be a little burp or a violent thud.

In 10 years of burning wood I have heard only strong hisses and blowback of smoke through draft port into room, during windy or unusual weather.

Just a word of caution, loading your stove with 2x4"s and other kiln dried wood, burns real hot real fast. Be careful not to over fire your stove.

Smokey said:
Just a word of caution, loading your stove with 2x4"s and other kiln dried wood, burns real hot real fast. Be careful not to over fire your stove.

Thanks for the tip...I do have both a flue and surface thermometer on this baby...which I do do keep close tabs on
Thanks Joey chang

Status
Not open for further replies.