Can't run baseboard on outside walls in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
It will be much, much easier to run my new zone in the basement on the interior partition. Is there anything wrong with doing this ? I know that common practice is to run the outside walls. there is just no good way to get my pex to the outside wall. Even with the inside wall, i'll still have to go up and over one doorway.

Outside walls are the way to go. Are you sure there is no way. Don't worry about door loops, just vent where needed. I guess where you have no choice, you have to do what you have to do, but I'd find a way to do it right.

Ok, I can do the outside walls if I do 2 things. 1) Split the loop with 2 returns back to boiler. 2) Run the return piping back through the the baseboard on top of the emitter element.

Questions

1) would it be ok to use pex to backtrack the baseboards or do I need to use copper ?

2) If I split the loop, one side will be 20' feet of actual emitter and the other side 6' of emitter. Is this a bad thing ?

3) I purchased 3/4" pex. Is it ok to run it for supply and return or should I use 1/2" for return.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Would like to start today as it is pouring out right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.