Carrabassett wall clearance height ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

71montess

Mar 27, 2021
Base camp
I can’t find , in their manual , where it states the height for wall protection needed in an open, one wall install. It’s against a wall in a cathedral ceiling situation. Any ideas ?

Usually the rule of thumb measurement is taken first by placing the stove to the reduce clearance to the wall shield, then a diagonal measurement is taken using the original clearance number from the manual and thats how high the shield would need to be to provide protection.
Example, I'm installing my stove close to the back wall, the manual says I need 18" of clearance from the back of the stove to the wall but can reduce to 12" is I install a shield on 1" spacers, I place the stove at 12" and measure the original 18" on a diagonal to figure out my height of shielding needed at the reduced clearance.
Additional height maybe needed on the shield if your connecter pipe isnt within spec 18" with single wall. 6" with double wall, on single wall applications some people choose to install a pipe shield rather then continue the actual wall shielding up the whole length.

What is the wall protection that is there or that is being proposed? The rear clearance does not gain much with wall protection unless this is with a single-wall connector. A double-wall connecting stove pipe is recommended.