Cast Iron Radiator Question - TRV on return side?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 11, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am looking into getting some TRVs for some CI rads that are early in the run.

My rads have hot entering on the top right and return on the bottom left that has a manual control valve. Pic attached.

I have read that TRVs should be on the hot side, is this the case?

Should I get the manual valves replaced with TRVs or get the TRVs put on the hot side?

CI_Rad.jpg

That thing is uugge!! What brand is it? Looks very close to the units I just refinished.

My TRV's are on the hot side,plumbed hot in top cold out bottom.
They work great,set and forget.

Mine are American Radiator. Just had them media blasted and primed. Then I primed them again and have them painted in a copper metallic.

My buddy said I should have had them powder coated. LOL

I wanted old radiators like that but the old ones were a lot of money..I have hot water heat along my bottom trim more modern and it looks like electric heat but its hot water heat..I have one in each room..As a kid I remember those old things and they put heat that felt so fine coming out--brought me back many years..thanks..Hope you can fix it...clancey

I have all cast iron rads in my house.
Not sure who made them,they were found in a pile in the bush behind an abandoned Highway lodge.
I flushed them with an acid solution,rinsed,filled with water,then pressure tested to 80PSI
Had zero issues.At -40C they are like having a wood stove in each room.

Reactions: cumminstinkerer
Yea I love the heat from CI rads. There are 19 of them in my house, most are half the size of the one in the pic. I wish there were more zones but overall its a good working setup. TRVs seem like the answer from what I'm hearing/reading. Set it and forget it.

^^^ You guys running steam or water? ^^^

I'll be using boiler water.

Water,actually glycol for the underground lines.
If anything happens to the heat,at least the heating system will be ready for a new source.