Castine Break-in burn pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was hot this weekend...even up in VT. No way were we going to get the stove up to 400F.

So I tried the top down fire in our firepit on Friday and Saturday night. I'm now a believer! I'm amazed with how well it works. It looks like it "shouldn't" work, but it works perfectly. I had a good solid fire going in no time, with very little smoker. After awhile, I had an amazing bed of coals. Another cool, thing, I had wonderful fire...and I only used a bit of birch bark to get it going.

I'm sure things are a bit different in a woodstove, but I'm definately going to give this a shot this season.

One thing that will happen if you continue adding a few splits as the load goes to coals is that you will be back here pretty soon asking how you get rid of all of those coals because you are out of room to put fresh wood in the stove. If you don't burn down the coals every once and a while you will end up with a stove full of coals. And no room to load sufficient wood for a long burn.

Scooping out hot coals and hauling them outside at ten o'clock at night is not on my list of fun things to do.

You're on the money BB! The "pit" part of our fire pit was loaded by the time we finally went in Saturday night. There were so many coals, I was waiting for the bottom to drop out of the thing. :lol:

Seriously though, that's some good advice. It's certainly something I'll have to be mindful with when using the stove.

To burn down the coals faster, rake them towards the front of the stove and open up the air intake about half-way. The coals will get more air at the front of the stove.

My next purchase is an ash rake. Interesting that in the two places I checked...they don't sell them. They sure have a lot of pokers and shovels though!

I had to make a rake. No stove shop around here carried them. I always rake the coals forward and then load on top of them after about 30 min worth of good burning. Lots of times they'll burst into flames soon as that air hits them. The only time I got lots of coals I couldn't really get rid of is when I was burning wet wood. Not this year though (hopefully anyway).

I'll shop around up in VT and NH. I was at the hardware store in VT this weekend and they didn't have any. If I can't find one, I'll just order one online.

Thanks for posting the ash rake links BG, I need to order one myself! :coolsmile:

Watched the video, interesting stuff and informative. Going to try a top-down burn one of these evenings.

Unless one cuts their wood to a maximum of 8" lengths, and that may be stretching it, there's little chance of building a North-South fire in a Castine.

That video makes me long for a big firebox....length, width, and height.

Frostbit...I hear you about the north/south..that probably won't happen unless we start cutting our splits in half. But based on my outdoort tests, and east/west should still do a good job. I'm thinking as long as there's enough air in the firebox to keep the starter fire going, enough heat will radiate to start those bigger logs.

atomichawg,
we went with the matte finish. Now that is't installed and on the hearth, we're really happy with our decision. The Castine is a very nice looking stove.

Pics!

A shot of the top down fire burning nicely Friday night.

Saturday night's top down ready to go...sitting on some of the leftovers from Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_1167 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1167 (Medium).JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_1173 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1173 (Medium).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 329
atomichawg said:
Nice stove! Matte black or blue/black enamel?

+1 Great looking stove. A real classic. I always liked the looks of my VC resolute acclaim. Too bad it had other "issues".

Did some burning this weekend...did the final 400 break in...then let it rip on Saturday. It was a cool, damp rainy day Saturday; less than "ideal" for starting a fire. And or course, my less than "ideal" chimney setup... :lol: But I did get it going. Again, still learning a bit. I need to figure out the best way to get the fire started so I don't have to keep adding more wood after it gets going. Thankfully, I'm able to light the fire, shut the door and the smoke easily leaves the firebox. I guess we'll see if that changes when the temp drops.

I got the stove up to 450+. I have to see, it's really cool to go outside, look at the chimney and see nothing coming out...aside from some "ripples" of heat.

I did have a bit of a time keeping it at 400 or hotter Saturday night. But that may have been a factor of the wood I was using. Larger splits that were a bit "damp" from teh 2.25" of rain we had Friday into Saturday. I'm going to try some smaller splits this weekend. Also, I was burning mostly pine, so there weren't that many coals to speak of. I'll see if I can dig up some dry hardwood.

Yup, most the things you read about these new epa stoves are correct. The gurus on this site are a wealth of information....
The Castine demands dry wood, otherwise you get 300 degree surface temps and a dirty burn. Load the firebox if your burning for heat. Put two splits in the back. Rake the coals to the front when you reload. Getting that fire to go front to back is the key: radiates out the glass well, keeps it somewhat clean, and heats the baffle well enough for the secondaries to light off nicely.

The firebox ain't big....the stove has width, but little depth and not much height, either, with the secondary baffle there. Don't expect an overnight burn out of it. I have never seen it, but I burn softwoods. Mine cruises nicely at 450. I have seen 600 only when I was burning dry hardwood pallet wood. When the wind blows like hell my fire is much more lively...even with the air shut off. Remember, with these stoves, you can never shut the air off completely.

I like mine. With home heating fuel at $5 a gallon, its easy to do. I just wish my wood shed had something other than spruce in it.

Thanks Frostbit! I am looking forward to trying things out with some dryer wood. It's been dry here in the Northeast for the last few days...and that should continue into the weekend. I'm going to hit the stacks and pull out some really dry stuff.

I agree...the firebox is small on this stove. Do you load yours up pretty good?

Skier76 said:
Thanks Frostbit! I am looking forward to trying things out with some dryer wood. It's been dry here in the Northeast for the last few days...and that should continue into the weekend. I'm going to hit the stacks and pull out some really dry stuff.

I agree...the firebox is small on this stove. Do you load yours up pretty good?

Dry wood is indeed the key - and not just with this stove. This stove can be loaded up pretty full and get a 6-8 hour burn if all you are looking for is coals in the AM - but enough to start a fire. There is a long thread from last year on burning in the Castine...

Oh really? Do you have a link? If not, I'll hit the ol' search....

CTwoodburner said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28783/

Awesome! Some good info there! Can't wait to experiment up in VT soon. It's going to be chilly at night up there. Woohoo!!!

Frostbit said:
The firebox ain't big.... Don't expect an overnight burn out of it.
That and the sometimes finicky draft are why we were recommending the F500 to Skier since this will be his only source of heat. It gets cold in VT and nothing worse to waking up to coldness (although I do it every day, but I hope she's moving out soon :cheese:), or coming home to a cold place after spending all day on the slopes. With that said, the F400 is a damn sharp looking stove and it's more than capable for supplemental heating!

We've got a nice propane Rinnai wall heater mounted on the main level of the A-Frame. That's going to pick up the slack when we're away at the slopes...and certianly when the fire dies down in the woodstove over night.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had another source of heat... that makes a big difference! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.