Castine Owners and others that may know....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeB

Feeling the Heat
Apr 26, 2012
Foot Hills of the Berkshires
Mine is being delivered and installed tomorrow. I have read the manual a couple of times and I am going to ask him a few questions, plus ask him to show me some things.

I want him to do the dollar bill test on the door while I watch and before he leaves
I want him to show me the air control lever and have him test it to make sure it is working as others have reported somethings there is disengagent during shipping
I want him to show me where the air enters in the botton center of the stove in case I ever have to shove aluminum foil up there in case of fire of overheating of the stove.
I want him to check and inspect the other gaskets before he leaves

He is a reputable dealer in business for 35 years so I don't want to insult him, but I do want things checked as from this forum I have learned that some things get shifted or displaced while stove in transit. Anything else I should ask him or have him check.

He is also installing a liner in our new chimney. I believe our chimney is at least 13 feet - should I ask him to extend the liner higher or ask his opinion about it? I am a fuss budget, but after a recent bathroom renovation I know that all kinds of things go wrong even when well planned for.
Thanks guys

I believe that minimum chimney height for the Castine is 14 feet Diane. You may want to go up at least one more 3 foot section to insure good draft ( assuming its 13 feet ).

Good luck with the install that is a very nice stove !
Pete

+1 the castine likes good draft. It is a great stove, and can pump alot of heat especially when the secondaries are going. The burn cycle from lighting the first match to the last coal is 8 hours, typically, although I have had heat around 11 hrs. On cold nights you may have to reload, but this depends on your house insulation, mine is so so. Good luck, its a great stove and it is essential to have properly seasoned wood in it, if not, it won't perform as well.

13' will give you grief bring it to 15' min if possible. +1 on the seasoned wood (2yrs min)
Jim

I would go for at least 16' if the stove is being rear-vented.

Install complete. Ended up being 15 feet and the duravent liner extends foot above my masonry chimney. Installer said this would work he would be back out if it didn't. Just a candle glowing in the stove. Still too warm to light a fire. My cat is in the lower right hand corner investigating. I did not realize he was in the picture until I uploaded the picture. So we have a new member of the family. Our old stove in the barn for now. Can't say goodbye yet. Sappy isn't it, but after 34 years what do you expect. install 2.jpg

The Castine is a classic beauty. It looks good there. You might be moving that side table come winter. It radiates a lot of heat.

You ought to think about firing it up once or twice to burn off the fumes while it is still warm enough to open your windows and ventilate.

Nice looking stove.

Their enameled stoves are much better this way. There was not much smell at all with our Castine and it disappeared by the 3d breakin fire.

That jotul looks grand there. I aggree with the break in fire now too, I believe the manual has the 3 break in temps, and you'd be able to open up a window.

Thats a fine looking stove. Do post up some picks of the breakin fires.

The Castine is a classic beauty. It looks good there. You might be moving that side table come winter. It radiates a lot of heat.
I agree, the table will have to go or we might have spontaneous incineration! Fisher sat in the same spot but guess the BTU's less. The painted rocks (bunny big eyes) are beach rock from Plymouth that were handpainted by my MIL. Long time out of the water, hopefully they will just radiate more heat and not explode!.

You ought to think about firing it up once or twice to burn off the fumes while it is still warm enough to open your windows and ventilate.

Nice looking stove.
Propably getting down to 50 tonight. Heard unless below 40, could have draft problems. I guess I worry too much.

Great looking install!! But then I am a little biased...

Status
Not open for further replies.