Ceiling above PE spectrum question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psass55

Oct 19, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
New to the forum, have been reading a lot since getting my wood burner last year and have learned much from you all just by reading the forums.

Last year I bought my first house and one of the biggest selling points was it had a hearth in the lower level and had chimney pipe already installed. Since it was a rental before me the owners had taken out the wood stove. Once I moved in I had a professional come out and look at be the chimney to certify it was ok and then he installed my pacific energy spectrum. My question is about the plate above the stove. attached are pictures. It is just a piece of sheet metal and I was wondering what I can replace it with that would be safe and look better? It's pretty ugly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 141
New to the forum, have been reading a lot since getting my wood burner last year and have learned much from you all just by reading the forums.

Last year I bought my first house and one of the biggest selling points was it had a hearth in the lower level and had chimney pipe already installed. Since it was a rental before me the owners had taken out the wood stove. Once I moved in I had a professional come out and look at be the chimney to certify it was ok and then he installed my pacific energy spectrum. My question is about the plate above the stove. attached are pictures. It is just a piece of sheet metal and I was wondering what I can replace it with that would be safe and look better? It's pretty ugly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 99
It looks like that plate is doing nothing much. There's no 1" air space behind it. Is that single or double-wall pipe? If single, it is an improper installation and I'd change the stove pipe to double-wall for closer clearances. Then the plate can be removed. If the pipe is double-wall and the pipe is >9" from the ceiling it should be ok to remove it or paint the shield to make it less obvious. Or you could attach a pipe shield to the horiz. section for greater peace of mind and still remove the metal from the ceiling.

Reactions: TheRambler
How close is it to the ceiling where it enters the tee branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.