Ceiling Fan Wobbling? CLEAN IT!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that we have installed the Blaze King and added some floor vents, we have been using the ceiling fan to draw the warm air up. Lately it had been wobbling pretty bad. I grabbed a sponge and stood on a chair and you would not believe how much dust there was. I thoroughly cleaned it, top, bottom, sides, all over and now it is smooth. NICE and EASY fix. CLEAN YOUR FANS!

Yep, keeping your ceiling fan clean is definitely a plus..........however, I take exception to drawing the warm air "up" unless you are talking about ceiling fans on the floor above the wood stove.

Typically, (like in the kitchen, the room adjacent to the Living Room where the wood stove lives), I'm trying to push the air DOWN.

-Soupy1957

One other wobbly ceiling fan trick (If a blade whacks something DAMHIKT!! )

Try to figure out which blade is the offender and tape a penny or nickle on the opposite blade.
By moving the weight further in or out on the blade you can fine tune it.

It won't fix them all but it really can help.

Just use a good tape like Duct or clear packing tape.

---Nailer---

.......however, I take exception to drawing the warm air "up" unless you are talking about ceiling fans on the floor above the wood stove.

Typically, (like in the kitchen, the room adjacent to the Living Room where the wood stove lives), I'm trying to push the air DOWN.

REPLY:
Yes, it is in the upstairs above the stove so we are pulling hot air up through the vents in the floor, otherwise we cannot get the hot air upstairs. I had thought about putting a blower in the vents, but this seems to work. It is all about circulation...

soupy1957 said:
Yep, keeping your ceiling fan clean is definitely a plus..........however, I take exception to drawing the warm air "up" unless you are talking about ceiling fans on the floor above the wood stove.

-Soupy1957

Soupy,

Our dining room is adjacent to the living room. LR has the stove. I had the fan blowing down but reversed it - MUCH better heat circulation with it blowing up for winter.

Shari said:
soupy1957 said:

-Soupy1957

Soupy,

Our dining room is adjacent to the living room. LR has the stove. I had the fan blowing down but reversed it - MUCH better heat circulation with it blowing up for winter.

Yeah - different houses have different air flow dynamics. Try them both and see which is better...

Like has been said; every house is different. I use the ceiling fan in the family room with the stove blowing down. That is the way I usually have. A few weeks ago, I tried it sucking up for two weeks. Had trouble getting the front room at the other end of the house to within 5 degrees of the family room. Went back to fan blowing down & the front room is now within 1 > 3 degrees of the family room.
Al

P.S. Using the fan in the front room in either direction seemed to hinder the air circulation, so I don't run that one anymore.

We run four fans on the main floor for air circulation. Two in our great room. Two in individual rooms. All blow up during winter. A fan blowing down on a person has a cooling effect. Great for summer, not so great for winter.

We vacuum the blades on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.