Ceiling fan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
I installed a ceiling fan last night to help move hot air. Should I switch to the heat setting on fan or just keep it regular. The regular setting you can feel air pushing down, on the other setting , opposite rotation, I feel no air pushing down. What do you stove veterans recommend to circulate the air best way possible

I run ours in reverse in the winter.

The air gets pushed down the walls instead of the center of the room.
I don't use it much but the wife likes it on for some reason.

That's how I have it right now, this room gets very hot so fan was needed, well the light was needed more. Old house no lights lol, the wife also wanted to "complete" the room!! Haha

You probably want it blowing air down.... but depending on air flow in your house you will have to see what works best.

That's how I have it right now, this room gets very hot so fan was needed, well the light was needed more. Old house no lights lol, the wife also wanted to "complete" the room!! Haha
Yea. We just have a single switch at both entrances to our family room. Wish there were two switch's at both locations.
Depending how she leaves it i never know if the fan or light or both will come on when I flip the switch!
I hate the pull chains! lol

Yea. We just have a single switch at both entrances to our family room. Wish there were two switch's at both locations.
Depending how she leaves it i never know if the fan or light or both will come on when I flip the switch!
I hate the pull chains! lol
I have put in three fans in this house , all three have remotes mounted to wall instead of switch. I didn't want to put more holes in wall than needed lol. In my living room when I leave it's just habit to move remote to the door I know I'm coming in when I get home. Works perfect.

I have put in three fans in this house , all three have remotes mounted to wall instead of switch. I didn't want to put more holes in wall than needed lol. In my living room when I leave it's just habit to move remote to the door I know I'm coming in when I get home. Works perfect.
I bought a fan with the remote kit once and the receiver part would not fit up in the box in the ceiling..yours must have fit..what kind?

I bought a fan with the remote kit once and the receiver part would not fit up in the box in the ceiling..yours must have fit..what kind?
The one I put in yesterday would bout fit either, no place for it to lay securely , at first I just jammed it in house and went on to finish fan , stated fan up and heard a rubbing sound. Took apart and realized it was miter rubbing against remote transmitter so I taped it to mounting bracket with a lot of electric tape.

The one I put in yesterday would bout fit either, no place for it to lay securely , at first I just jammed it in house and went on to finish fan , stated fan up and heard a rubbing sound. Took apart and realized it was miter rubbing against remote transmitter so I taped it to mounting bracket with a lot of electric tape.
Hunter fan, just a universal remote from lowes

Damn spell check on iphone. I laughed after I re read this post.

Hunter fan, just a universal remote from lowes
Ok the one I bought came with the fan but I returned it for a fan without one.
I seen those add on ones at lowes. So it fit into the ceiling box ok then?

Damn spell check on iphone. I laughed after I re read this post.
I could not figure out what you were saying..lol.

Ok I say the fan needs to be in reverse so that it blows air up, the ceiling air is much hotter than say couch height, in doing so, the fan will move the hotter ceiling air down and the cooler air up which will help in moving the hotter air to different locations in the house....

Ok the one I bought came with the fan but I returned it for a fan without one.
I seen those add on ones at lowes. So it fit into the ceiling box ok then?
I did not put in crying box with any of the transmitters. I just secure them in housing. To the bracket that attaches to ceiling box. Use zip ties or electrical tape.

I did not put in crying box with any of the transmitters. I just secure them in housing. To the bracket that attaches to ceiling box. Use zip ties or electrical tape.
**ceiling Smart phones do not make me a smart typer at all

I see!

Didn't seem like there was room there either but I should have tried that..maybe I'll get another one and give it a shot.
Yea..those dang crying boxes are just to small..lol.

Ok I say the fan needs to be in reverse so that it blows air up, the ceiling air is much hotter than say couch height, in doing so, the fan will move the hotter ceiling air down and the cooler air up which will help in moving the hotter air to different locations in the house....
That's what I figured. Thanks. Air movement seems to be hardest thing with heating home with stove

I see!

Didn't seem like there was room there either but I should have tried that..maybe I'll get another one and give it a shot.
Yea..those dang crying boxes are just to small..lol.
I will take a picture later on today , and show you the location I used

The ceiling fan circulates the air within a room. Think about the largest surface the air will be in contact with. If the air is moving downward you are moving the air along the floor which is cooler. That is why it works best to cool a room in the summer. When you circulate the air along the ceiling which is warmer, so it warms the air and brings it down the walls to warm the floor. The main thing a ceiling fan dose is air circulation. The fan will eliminate all the stagnant air out the corners of the room leaving the room with a more consistent feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.