1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Central Boiler 1400 vs 2400

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Mass Heat, Feb 24, 2012.

1. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Sam, you and anyone else are certainly are entitled to put your faith in all the test results, standards and methods you can find but I see the results of people believing them and taking them at face value everyday. The fact that a given unit meets the standard means very little as far as real life operation is concerned.

I would simply like to see a method that people can safely assume accurately reflects the results they will obtain. Nothing more, nothing less. The former standard as well as the current one do not.

As you said yourself, the test method is based on small airtight wood stoves rather than hydronic based heating systems. I am at a loss to explain why the powers that be cannot grasp that these are completely different animals in terms of operating characteristics. Lowering the output on a wood stove to 25% simply reduces the surface temperature of the unit and the surrounding air. Lower the output of a firebox surrounded by water to 25% and you have a fearful mess on your hands.
    Ever look at the inside of a PhaseII gasser that spends most of it's time at outputs around 30-40% of full rating? It's ugly.

All I am asking and hoping for is that the agencies involved promulgate a standard that will actually tell Joe Consumer what he can expect in his own yard. That's all anyone should want.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. samuel

samuel Member

Loc:
    SoCal
    Heaterman,

I really don't think you get it.

I clearly explained how OWBs are tested how they operate in the field. I never said that the tests were based upon “small airtight wood stoves." I clearly said that the laboratories, governmental organizations and manufacturers (and all of their engineers) took what they learned from over 20 years of testing indoor woodstoves to develop methods specifically applicable to outdoor wood boilers.

Yes – I have seen OWBs operating at 30-40% of the high rating. Most OWBs do not operate at the maximum output because that is simply a guide to determine the other categories. Let’s say the high output burn only last 3-6 hours – is a consumer of an OWB going to be happy with those burn times? No.

Why do you think I explained in my first post on this issue that the highest weighting regarding PM and efficiency are on the lowest burn categories? Because that is where they are used most of the time. Most manufacturers of OWB don’t size their units based upon the max Btu/hr rating (some may). The max btu/hr output has to be established to determine where to establish the other three categories.

You should be able grasp that most current wood heating test methods and ones currently in development are similar (especially when it comes to capturing PM emissions) across the board.
    martyinmi likes this.
  3. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    I think we have derailed this thread enough Sam.

I remain convinced that the test results derived from the EPA28 testing OWHH's are fatally flawed. The results achieved by the manufacturers, some more than others, are skewed more toward marketing propaganda than giving consumers an accurate portrayal of how a given product may or may not perform. (Witness the exchange between Marty and Brian regarding CB's claim of 97% efficiency.)

I'm sorry but I have a very difficult time keeping a straight face when someone tells me that the EPA standard represents actual performance when I see numbers tossed around like that. Seriously. It rates right up there with the OWB salesman who told his audience at a trade show that there was no heat loss from the exposed "legs" of his wood burner because......drum roll here........"We use non-conductive steel".

There is so much misinformation, outright disinformation and half truth in the OWB industry it makes me sick. The fact that all the test protocol did was muddy the water even more and allow manufacturers to make claims of 97% or greater just plain sickens me. People, some of whom are my customers, buy this stuff and after I have installed it for them they call back and ask what is wrong with their boiler. They site references made by the dealer (who in many cases will not talk to them anymore) that the product would not creosote, cut their wood use by 70%, not smoke, etc etc. and now they are wondering what's going on. I feel like the angel of death when I have to tell them that their wood burner will not ever perform in the manner the brochure and the salesman lead them to believe.

People deserve the truth. They should not be taken advantage of by companies and persons who know how to make the numbers work for them.

I'm signing off this thread because it's serving no purpose other than arguing semantics. I would just advise a person considering any of the new OWB gassers to proceed cautiously and take what the salesman says with a grain of salt. For the most part all they know is what the factory tells them and we all know how accurate the claim of a 97% CB or a 99% whatever is. Who needs a test when the inaccuracy (to put it kindly) is right in front of ones face.

Adios Amigo
  4. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    I'm wondering what capacity you have with the OWB industry. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge but it does seem to be directed to the OWB side. I know that the US wood burning is way behind the overseas guys and that we tend to burn different but we also waste alot of wood and make alot more smoke. So tell me why we have two states (Mass and MI) that demand asme stamps and some other states that don't want any wood boilers and want to ban any boilers outside or in a shed or out building not ocupied and these states don't reconize any overseas testing.
    If I remember when the epa started all this garbage that Tarm and Garn apposed the testing because it wasn't representing accual use. There is way to much politics, back room dealing, trade protectionism, going on and not enough looking at clean burning tecknowledge. Who really gives a rap where the boiler is made and if it is asme or other stamped as long as it is a safe clean burning unit. If we got rid of all the fighting and lawsuits and different laws the market place would have lots of good units out there. Now some of the best units can't even be sold here cause the co. won't do bussiness here.
    Does the gov have a place here? Yes but not to protect one segment of the industry. They should set down a safe min standard, and a min clean burn, that doesn't favor anyone and let the market place take over.
    Did you know that in Mi a home owner can't replace his water heater legaly. Or that Geting a asme stamp for the exact same boiler can cost $2000 more. Come on that is plain stupid. Just plain stupid.
    leaddog
  5. martyinmi

martyinmi Member

Loc:
    Central Mi
    Mass Heat,
    Any decision yet?