1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Central Boiler 1400 vs 2400

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Mass Heat, Feb 24, 2012.

1. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    [Armaton[/quote]
    That is me. They don't refer potential customers to me, mainly just people who are having a hard time grasping the gasification process. I try to dissuade people from buying conventional OWB's while explaining the benefits of gasifyers.

There is a large "Supercenter" in our state that currently sells P&M boilers, as well as three other brands, and to my knowledge they are the only dealer here.

If you are serious about the cost and availability of a 250, send me a pm and I'll be sure that the proper guys get forwarded the information, or call the number and P&M will send you a price quote. If you don't understand the gasification process, include your telephone number and I'll do my best to explain it to you. If I can't help you, I have friends who sell Central Boiler and Empyre OWB's who will be able to help.[/quote]

Seems like a highly sophisticated form of grandstanding incognitoism I suspect.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. martyinmi

martyinmi Member

Loc:
    Central Mi
    Huff,
    You're giving me way too much credit. There isn't too much about me that's highly sophisticated. Grandstanding? Well, maybe a bit. Incognitoism? That mass of letters doesn't form a word.
    The bottom line is this: You are finally understanding the points I've been trying to illustrate. That proves that my "highly sophisticated form of grandstanding while remaining in a state of perpetual incognito" is paying off!
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    March 15th is coming Tim. :lol:
  4. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI

Is that the same as "The deception of posting as a overly satisfied homeowner instead of a dealer/consultant"

In retrospect most home users will state the likes and dislikes of their boiler.

gg
  5. Mass Heat

Mass Heat New Member

Loc:
    Southern Mass
    Oh I know, trust me! Just had an experienced mechanical engineer at the house, so he could quote me on a install.
  6. Gasifier

Loc:
    Do you have electrical already in the shed where the boiler will be going?
  7. Mass Heat

Mass Heat New Member

Loc:
    Southern Mass
    Nope, electric needs to be brought out. Electrician was here as well.
  8. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    What did they do that makes it more efficient than flyingcows tarm ?
  9. willworkforwood

willworkforwood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Ma
    I don't have enough time, or hip boots tall enough to wade through all the muck in this thread to figure out which boiler you've decided on, so I'll just ask you to re-post what you're planning to buy, and the install location.
  10. Mass Heat

Mass Heat New Member

Loc:
    Southern Mass
    Leaning towards wood gun at this point. Couple of differences that make the most sense for me. Larger fire box, SS, 10% off, larger built in water capacity, less critical chimney install and better performing unit without storage. However, the Econoburn is a tough unit to pass up on. Especially with the responsiveness from the OEM.
  11. huffdawg

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    What is a Mechanial Engineers rate per hour MH. Will he let you assist him to save money. The more you can do yourself the better unless you have other commitments of course. Are you planning storage.

Huff
  12. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    A mechanical engineer who is not a Professional Engineer (PE, state licensed, with a seal) might as well be an accountant. Mechanical engineers are a dime a dozen, PE's are not. I believe in most states you can't actually sell your services to the general public as "engineering services" if you are not a PE. If an engineer cannot legally seal the drawings and plans you are buying from them you are wasting your money. You can call it what it is at that point - expensive advice to be followed at your own risk.

HVAC guys are licensed and insured. PE's are licensed and insured. Plain ole engineers may know a lot or a little but they are not experts in anything by default.
  13. Gasifier

Loc:
    My installers worked for a local HVAC company in a small village of about 10,000 people. One had a two year technical degree in HVAC, the other a one year certificate in HVAC. Both are smart guys. I had no leaks in my system at all, and everything works as it should. I suppose a few things could have been improved upon, but I can not complain. Make sure you know what you want and how you want it done before you hire the installers.
  14. huffdawg

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    [ Plain ole engineers may know a lot or a little but they are not experts in anything by default.[/quote]
    I'm a plain ole marine engineer I know a little about a whole lot. :lol:

Huff
  15. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I had a hard time being preached to from someone that(supposedly) had the resources to buy 2 OWB's in one year. But before that actually had the balls to say he had "a very efficient OWB" before the last two he bought? And then to explain that his OWB "meets or exceeds what i have"? delusional at best. But, ironically I am impressed(with the videos) of the P&M OWB's. Which we find out that is what he's selling. these OWB's look like they have something serious to offer the gassification crowd.

And by the way, if i was in the same region as Brian(the Effecta dealer) I would buy a boiler from him. HE SPEAKS OF FACTS, no BS..... he represents his business very well........I am trying to look for a grandstand to stand on and speak my mind....where is it.....? ;-)
  16. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    I think it might be the R20 insulation around the water jacket sitting outside.

All kidding aside I do like the Portage and Main Gasifier. Especially the way it is set up to clean, which incidentally is the biggest complaint I have about my Econoburn.

gg
  17. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I also like the Portage and Main from what I've seen. There are a few small isues i've heard of but nothing to get to worried about.
    I just dont see that any outdoor gasser is going to be more efficient than an indoor one. I'm not implying that an indoor boiler is for every one either.
  18. Noggah

Noggah New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Hey Massheat,

How is the search going. I've been following the thread, which got a little off topic, but with good intentions I think. Just wondering if you came to a final decision. You won't regret it no matter which you choose. Alot of work, but worth it in the end. Especially the way things are headed.
  19. Gasifier

Loc:
    15-5=10 Mass
  20. Mass Heat

Mass Heat New Member

Loc:
    Southern Mass
    Waiting on a quote for a Wood gun install. If the quote is reasonable, I plan on going this route. If the quote comes in too high, I'll revisit the CB 1450, which is now EPA approved. I plan on making my decision by March 15th.
  21. Noggah

Noggah New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Awesome, Keep up the good fight.
  22. martyinmi

martyinmi Member

Loc:
    Central Mi
    Mass Heat,
    First time I've checked this thread in a few days. I played a role in the highjacking of your thread. Sorry about that. I'll start my own thread in the future.

Marty
  23. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    The sad truth of the matter regarding the EPA test protocol is that it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

The test method bears no resemblance to real world conditions or operation. For example, who of you use kiln dried 4x4 sawn red oak, cribbed and nailed together when you load your stove? That is what the EPA test used. No bark, no variation in loading, no variation in size, no dirt, no debris of any kind. It's lumberyard quality wood, not firewood. That alone skews the results far toward the "clean" side of the spectrum.

There were so many discrepancies in the test results that EPA pulled the efficiency ratings from their website. Manufacturers were claiming efficiency that defied the laws of physics saying their units were reaching 90%+ when routine stack loss measurements indicated less than 50%.

I would not advise anyone to use the EPA White label or Yellow label as an indication of actual performance. It is very much a buyer beware market yet.
  24. wishiwasfishingguy

wishiwasfishingguy Member

Loc:
    MN
    Good news was I did get to go fishing over an extended weekend with my son and he caught another trophy walleye! Just logged in and see I must have struck a nerve with a few folks and that was not the intention. Maybe I should have said to effecta salesguy "get off the dang soapbox" instead of grandstanding....I didn't google that definition. Call it what you want. In the end we all want to avoid that gas man filling our tanks! Anyway, it just struck me wrong and I took it personal. I had a traditional outdoor wood furnace that went through 15 cord plus. Now I keep the house PLUS my 3 stall garage at 50 degrees and i've cut that down to 5-7 annually over the last 4 years. Pretty easy to stay a year ahead on my wood suppy (nice and dry) plus I can keep all my vehicles and the boat and toys in my garage. As for emissions, my friend who lives in town wanted to put an E Classic to his house and he had to go to the council to get approval and permit. They, including the city inspector and superintendant were concerned about smoke. Well, 3 years later they had to replace a power line on the block of town he lives on and they had forgot he had a wood furnace...that says something for real world. Bottom line is that this new stove is a definite improvement.
  25. leeeallen

leeeallen Member

Loc:
    s. Maine
    Massheat- have you looked into the Profab 200 or 400. I have been very satisfied with my 400.