Ceramic Baffle will floor tile work as temp fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jreist

Feb 3, 2012
Canada
The ceramic baffle in my wood stove has big holes in it, I have ordered new baffle but it is stuck at UPS and it will take a week before I can get it. Can I slip ceramic floor tile over the top to cover the holes until I get the part?

Good question, I'm interested if that works. I wonder if the temp differences will make it crack?
You can always try it. Or if you have furnace cement that should work, depending how bid the hole is. May have to pull the board and set on a flat surface to keep the cement from falling through till it hardens, Maybe set some wax paper underneath until it hardens. then reinstall. Sans wax paper of course. Let us know if you try the tile and how it works.

That is interesting, I remember seeing a video of a guy using a blowtorch on a ceramic tile with a thermometer on the other side and virtually no heat transfer......Hmm!

There was a recent thread (might have started by me) about ceramic fiber board vs cast for baffle.I'll bet there is more boards than we know needing replaced do to mechanic damage. Depending the on stove design depends on how easy or often it gets struck by wood. I know it absolutely would not work in the Elm as I'm all the time hitting the baffle when I load wood in.

What brand and model of stove do you have?

BrotherBart said:
What brand and model of stove do you have?

It is a Hearthstone Heritage Soapstone Woodstove.It is a great stove I use less then 2 cords of wood but this year everything is going wrong.

There is a catch in the cast iron frame that broke so I can not get the front door to close properly. I have to keep the front door closed with a coat hanger, this does not provide a tight seal so you can not regulate it. The side door has a hole in the cast iron by the latch that is slowly getting bigger. I been after the dealer I bought it from for 3 mths trying to get the replacement part and finnally been told it will get here next weekend.

I don't know if because the wood stove is burning hot because the door won't close but over the last month the ceramic baffle seams to be falling apart in the centre.

I have a Hearthstone Heritage woodstove. Can I replace the baffle with something stronger/longer-lasting (tile, steel, stone) than the ceramic baffle ?

No, the ceramic board keeps heat in the firebox for efficient burn. The best way to maintain it is to walk out the back door and throw that poker as far as you can.

The tile may work as a temp fix, though the fire will probably not be as hot. I would warm the firebox up a bit slower than usual. After that it should be able to take the heat. The main thing will be avoiding leakage around the sides or back. Will you be putting it on top of the broken baffle?

The tile may work as a temp fix, though the fire will probably not be as hot. I would warm the firebox up a bit slower than usual. After that it should be able to take the heat. The main thing will be avoiding leakage around the sides or back. Will you be putting it on top of the broken baffle?
hello?…..i too have a question in this area…..cleaning/repairing an insert for a friend and the baffle is broken….she cant afford the $50+ for a new one… can i use a ceramic tile?…..would a piece of steel be better?…..i found some tile that says it is porcelain and am thinking it should work…. a small loss in efficiency is not a concern…….

What stove is this?

For a baffle to be effective it needs to define the smoke path without leaks or gaps. The material used must be non-combustible, able to tolerate very high temps, thin enough to not block the final smoke path to the flue outlet and it needs to fit snugly so that smoke doesn't bypass the baffle.

What stove is this?

For a baffle to be effective it needs to define the smoke path without leaks or gaps. The material used must be non-combustible, able to tolerate very high temps, thin enough to not block the final smoke path to the flue outlet and it needs to fit snugly so that smoke doesn't bypass the baffle.
thank you!……it is an older fireplace insert….i have not seen a name on it…..i have the broken pieces of the ceramic fiber baffle board that came out… considering using stove cement to glue them on the fire side of a this piece of stainless steel cut same size, or concrete board, or both, in a sandwich style, OR….just cut a piece of porcelain tile same size and use it plain or with the old board pieces cemented to the fire side……again, she cannot afford the $50+ for a new baffle……which of these combination of ideas sounds like it has the best chance?…..i will help monitor it over the season and have a backup piece handy if the repaired piece becomes disfunctional…..all adaptations would, of course, be same dimensions as original baffle…..

stainless is not inexpensive, but if you have a piece that will fit and lay on top of the baffle pieces that is better than nothing.

stainless is not inexpensive, but if you have a piece that will fit and lay on top of the baffle pieces that is better than nothing.
It would have to be pretty thick or it will warp really quickly even on top.

Yes, would you prefer the tile or perhaps the stainless could have a 90º lip to stiffen it? Hopefully she can save up some money and replace the baffle in a month or two. $50 is not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.