Chainsaw Bar Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
Wondering what bars folks are using and satisfied with on their saws.

*For the latest acquisition Husqvarna 395XP, 93cc, have ordered a couple 28" 3/8-.058 bars.
*On the 17 year old Stihl 029, 56cc, using 20" with .325-.050 and am very satisfied.
*On the 4 year old Stihl MS170, 30cc, using 16" with 3/8-.043 chain and the little bugger does fine. When new it was fine but soon turned to poop. Removing that dang spark arrestor (which was totally plugged) from the muffler, brought it right back to fine again. Plugged so bad that the exhaust was forced out from between the muffler and exhaust port.

All chains are full comp.

New to the forum, I had a Husqvarna 455 with a 20" bar (don't recall specs). Sold the saw 2 years ago

3 years ago I bought a Stihl "over kill" 461 28" bar 3/8 @ .050

Probably going to up the bar size since I found a couple of trees that I won't be able to cut all the way through.

If you want/need to run with a spark arrestor, hold screen with long pliers and burn off carbon/crud with a hot flame. Even a torch style ("windproof") grill ligter can get it red hot. I check all my arrestor screens at least once a year.

Last edited:
I like my 550xp (50cc) with an 18", probably would be a littler better balanced with 16". Usually run a 20" on my 2172 (70cc) and sometimes a 28" (cheap woodland pro) which gets heavy but cuts fine with a full skip chain. Looking to try the new versacut from oregon in a 24" for the 2172. If its light like they say she will wear that full time.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/O...ets/Guide-Bars/VersaCut-Guide-Bars/c/01_02_02

Probably going to up the bar size since I found a couple of trees that I won't be able to cut all the way through

soooooooooooo you are saying you are going to cut a couple trees that are over 56" at the stump? for firewood? boys boys boys. . . a 20" or 24" bar will cut any firewood tree known to man. just come in from both sides

Our local logging supply store used to only stock 30" bars. They are going to start stocking 3 footers as folks with chainsaw mills have a use for them as the mill clamps on the end of the bar.

soooooooooooo you are saying you are going to cut a couple trees that are over 56" at the stump? for firewood? boys boys boys. . . a 20" or 24" bar will cut any firewood tree known to man. just come in from both sides

Not just for firewood, I'm looking at getting a chainsaw mill so I can make some wide slabs. However when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground it's easier to cut on one side rather than walking around to finish the cut(s).

Reactions: Tar12
16" bar on the Stihl MS211
20" bar on the Husqvarna 365 Special

I could see having a 28" around for some situations (bucking a bunch of small logs at once) but haven't encountered the need enough for one yet.

T540xp with 14"
550xp with 13"
576xp with 24" most of the time
PS6100 with 20"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 3/8 full skip
200t 14 16
026 16,18,20
360 20,25
064 32,36,42 for the mill
sometimes run a milling chain for the mill

Last edited:
I run full chisel on all of my saws...3/8 50 ga.
2 260 Pros...16 in bars
039....20 in bar
044....24 in bar
660....32 bar...
Each saw and bar serves a purpose for me and saves my back...I cut a lot of tops after logging operations and the butt ends range in size 16 in on up to 3.5-4 ft and sometimes larger....I run the smaller saws until I can't anymore and then pull out the big guns to wrap it up.

16" Husqvarna 240
18" Husqvarna 353 & Stihl MS250
24" Husqvarna 365 X-torq

Huskvarna 562xp with a 20 inch bar currently. I'd like a 24 inch for felling, but the 20 inch I already have. A few years ago, I had a husky 288 with a 24 inch bar. That was a cutting machine, and I'd love to have an 80-90 cc saw with a longer bar (24-26 inch)for felling. Cant justly that for just being a hobby logger and firewood cutter though. I cant imagine what the wife would say about spending that kind of money on another chainsaw.

Anyone on here run a saw with a bow bar?? Just recently watched a couple of youtube videos and its a pretty interesting design and looks relatively efficient. What are your thoughts on them??

Bow saws were brought about for the pulpwood industry where bucking to short lengths was necessary. They were supposed to be a pinch free design. Sounds like it was the cats meow 60+ years ago

Reactions: AndrewC
Anyone on here run a saw with a bow bar?? Just recently watched a couple of youtube videos and its a pretty interesting design and looks relatively efficient. What are your thoughts on them??

My grandpa owned a logging operation for 50 years and he had a couple now saws. Hardly ever used them.

boys boys boys. . . a 20" or 24" bar will cut any firewood tree known to man. just come in from both sides
Things vary, year to year, but there are some years where most of what I cut is over 40” diameter. It's not entirely unusual for me to get into stuff that's up to 60" diameter. That ain't happening with a 20" or 24" bar.

For me, the sweet spot is my 28” bar, which is used 10:1 more than any other bar I own. I have 20” and 36” bars, but neither see much use. The 28” bar is great for felling 24” trees from one side, and works just as well in 40” - 50” trees, working from both sides.

If I owned only one saw, it would be my 85cc Stihl 064 with the 28” bar. With five saws, it is my favorite, by a very wide margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley
One thing I've noticed, having owned saws made from 1970 up to 2015, is that the modern saws take a lot more horsepower to sling the same bar. Whereas the old saws would just chew and chew, albeit never very quickly, the modern saws are spinning much higher chain speeds. Simple physics tells us it takes more power to do the same work in less time, so no surprise... faster saws require more horsepower per inch of bar.

A few data points:

1971'ish 40cc Homelite: 18" bar, slow cutter, but it never stopped in the wood. It would just chew, and chew...

1980'ish 50cc Echo 510 EVL: 20" bar, and only a little faster than the Homelite, still slow by "modern" standards. Rarely struggled, even with the nose buried.

1990's 63cc Stihl 036: Lightsaber fast, but struggles to pull a 20" bar with the nose buried in wood.

2013 36cc Husqvarna T435: Also very fast, but really struggles with the 14" factory bar. Note, this is only 10% off the displacement of that antique Homelite, and probably matches the Homelite on performance, but it's running a much higher chain speed.

My go-to saw is the Stihl 064, I mentioned in a post above. This saw was once advertised as having the highest horsepower to weight ratio of any saw Stihl had ever made, and I'm not sure if any have actually topped it, to this day.

Ready to rock!

Saws-2.jpg

Last edited: