Chainsaw Fairy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDC1

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2010
NE Ohio
I was out with my kids in the backyard this past sunday. My neighbor who just retired came over to see my wifes pygmy goats with his grandaughters and mentioned that he had something in his garage that he was going to bring to me.

Fast forward to last night, I look outside and he is chatting with my wife and holding a saw case. Inside was a Stihl 025 w/ 3 chains. It is in great shape. He said that he wouldnt except anything for it, he hasnt used it in 10 years and doesnt ever want to cut wood anymore. I gassed it up and it started on the third pull. This is going to make a great backup to my 310.

I am not sure if he drinks, does anyone have any suggestions for a thank you gift? He also doesnt burn wood in his fireplaces. I do know that he fly fishes and quail hunts.

If you know what gauge shot gun he has? Few boxs would make an awesome gift. Oh and a good running 025 Sweeet Score!

Find out where he likes to take his wife for dinner and get him a gift certificate.

Or just go ver to his house and clean something up for him...paing his shed, rake some leaves, mow the lawn...just do something nice. Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks for the ideas. I just had to brag a little.

I'd brag on something like that too, your neighbor is a keeper for sure

Just do something very nice for him. I like to give something I know he will like perhaps in some line like the hunting or fishing that he does but in so doing, it is nice to get him something that perhaps he might like but puts off, maybe because he just doesn't want to spend that much. Just use your imagination. For sure, a few thank you's are in order! A nice neighbor to have.

JDC said:
I was out with my kids in the backyard this past sunday. My neighbor who just retired came over to see my wifes pygmy goats with his grandaughters and mentioned that he had something in his garage that he was going to bring to me.

Fast forward to last night, I look outside and he is chatting with my wife and holding a saw case. Inside was a Stihl 025 w/ 3 chains. It is in great shape. He said that he wouldnt except anything for it, he hasnt used it in 10 years and doesnt ever want to cut wood anymore. I gassed it up and it started on the third pull. This is going to make a great backup to my 310.

I am not sure if he drinks, does anyone have any suggestions for a thank you gift? He also doesnt burn wood in his fireplaces. I do know that he fly fishes and quail hunts.

Well.... if he's a fly fisherman, I'm sure he'd LOVE to get a bamboo fly rod from Sweetgrass Rods, but they tend to cost upwards of $1k...

Other options might include:

-a guided fly fishing trip to SW Montana (the center of the fly fishing universe), or maybe a guided trip to Alaska instead...

-a new drift boat from Clackacraft or RO

Oh wait... all those cost a sh*t ton of money also... ;-P

Very nice . . . and many good suggestions . . . ranging from simply helping him out, shotgun shells, gift certificate to get some flies or even a nice meal for him and his wife. As stated before . . . even nicer than the free saw is the friendship you have made with a good neighbor.

Oh yeah, one other thing . . . any guy that has a shotgun probably shouldn't be called a "fairy" . . . he might take offense to that. ;) :)

Mt Ski Bum said:
JDC said:

Well.... if he's a fly fisherman, I'm sure he'd LOVE to get a bamboo fly rod from Sweetgrass Rods, but they tend to cost upwards of $1k...

Other options might include:

-a guided fly fishing trip to SW Montana (the center of the fly fishing universe), or maybe a guided trip to Alaska instead...

-a new drift boat from Clackacraft or RO

Oh wait... all those cost a sh*t ton of money also... ;-P

Funny that you should say Montana, they are currently shopping for a second home in Wyoming or Montana. He was an upper level VP for a very well known company, I would be willing to bet that he has also shopped for top tier rods.

I think I will get him a gift card, I also have never fly fished but have access to a great steelhead creek. So maybe a trip there is in order.

upper level VP... sounds like the type of guy who might be looking to become a member at the Yellowstone Club or Club at Spanish Peaks...

Anyways, congrats on the saw- not all of us are lucky enough to have neighbors who give us free saws! I'm

Did you have to put sawdust under your pillow?? Wish I had a neighbor like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.