Chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
Wife asked what I wanted for Xmas. I told her a new set of chaps. Not looking to skimp in this area but what are some of the better ones.

Might try going to a Stihl or husky dealer. Lowes sells the Husky brand, but not sure if it is their top of the line.

With the saws in your sig I would be looking at 9 ply chaps. Anything is better than nothing but I have seen a 50cc saw poke thru 6 ply. Used to do a safety demo (Intentional hit with chaps on a log.) when I worked for a Stihl dealer. I recommend 9 ply for anything over 70cc.

Reactions: zap
I could direct you to a leather working forum if you wanted some pretty heavy duty chaps. I am sure someone there could make some that are pretty robust just not sure what the price would be.

I've been exceptionally pleased with the durability and comfort of my Stihl chaps. I'd recommend them to anyone.

You might also want to look at Labonville and Swedepro chaps. Both companies offer very high quality equipment.

Nixon said:
You might also want to look at Labonville and Swedepro chaps. Both companies offer very high quality equipment.

+1 There are some good comparison videos on the Labonville website.

Be sure to tell her what kind of chaps you want...

Attachments

• 62546-Adult-Cowboy-Chaps-large (561x1300).jpg
    62546-Adult-Cowboy-Chaps-large (561x1300).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 757
Ya gonna wear yer chaps to the tavern..............

DanCorcoran said:
Be sure to tell her what kind of chaps you want...
I have a set of the forester chap7-g it is 12 ply and ASTM F1897 approved and UL listed. Their is a video demo of them being hit by a saw out there on the net. They seem real heavy and nice. Haven't hit them with the saw yet so I can't tell you if they are any good for sure and I hope I never will!

WoodMann said:
Ya gonna wear yer chaps to the tavern..............

I forgot to take them off.......... and went to the gas station the other day. I pulled my cap down real far so the people that know me there hopefully wouldn't recognize me. Dang! Hubby came in with me & then I heard "Hi, Shari! Must be working today, huh?"

Sheesh........... I have to get a life :)

6 ply will stop a saw dead in it tracks.

+1 laboville, very comfortable.

So why would you want wrap around chaps versus regular?

Just got my new ones. Labonville 6ply. Comfortable calf wrap. 73 bucks from baileys.

muncybob said:

Because I like my calves the way they are.

DanCorcoran said:
muncybob said:

Because I like my calves the way they are.

Kinda impossible to get that bar back there, but I cant juggle 3 saw either.

Those of us who are over 60 and have little to no experience using chainsaws can accomplish some amazing things, hence my use of PPE. For a few dollars more, why not full wrap? I don't find them uncomfortable or restrictive.

I got 9 ply Stihl chaps from a dealer, they were $99.
I think 6 ply were either 69 or 79.
The justification I used to spend the money on the chaps, was one ER visit costs more than that much. If I get hit in the leg without them on, that's an ER visit.
Never had to put them to the test yet.
The only thing I suggest, is after you buy them you throw them in the dirt and get them a little muddy before you use them. They're so shiny and new looking... Don't want to give off the impression that you have no idea what you're doing :p

A coworker of mine cut the back of his leg sawing firewood while wearing chaps. That said, I have stihl chaps. They have a nice gash in them. They worked like a charm.

ms440 said:
A coworker of mine cut the back of his leg sawing firewood while wearing chaps. That said, I have stihl chaps. They have a nice gash in them. They worked like a charm.

I got to know how one would cut the back of there leg?

Labonville has a 20% off sale going on that ends tomorrow. Just bought a pair of full wrap chaps to replace my Husquvarna's

No personal experience, and I don't know how rare it is, but I've read that when operator moves and swings a longer bar it has struck the side and back of calf. Also, I imagine a snapped chain can whip back and wrap.

Personally, I like full-wrap chaps to keep chaps from rotating around the legs and providing sharp thorn and snake protection.

JotulOslo said:
Labonville has a 20% off sale going on that ends tomorrow. Just bought a pair of full wrap chaps to replace my Husquvarna's

Good deal!

I've tried a half dozen different chap models and I prefer those Labonville Full-Wraps.

SIERRADMAX said:
Wife asked what I wanted for Xmas. I told her a new set of chaps. Not looking to skimp in this area but what are some of the better ones.

I bought the only pair at my dealer that fit me. Forrester brand. $70.00. No idea how many plies. They are orange. I occasionally cut wood in the yard of a lumber mill and they require chaps. That's why I bought them. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.