Cheap gas prices are now in the rear view mirror!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioburner

Aug 4, 2012
West central Mn
Last week I filled the car with gas at $1.74 and needing to make a hop back to the same area tomorrow did a Gasbuddy check on prices and its up to $2.09. Pretty sure that heating fuel is close to the same rate hike.
Our Governor who said no gas taxes last fall before election said early last week would like to put on another wholesale tax on fuel the same as sales tax which is almost 7% but that was before this last weekends skyrocketing prices. GMA this morning stated that fuel price will probably rise another 30 to 50 cents by May.
Looks like I got the last sub $2 gas I will ever see last week:( Will have to see if I can snag any good cheap pellets or more corn this spring before they go up again.

Owning oil stock takes the sting out of those price increases. When the gas prices doubled, so did my Exxon stock. With oil stocks at a 6 month low, it may be the time to buy.

Home heating oil price last week was $2.16/gal near me (lowest all season). It is up to $2.33/gal as of this morning. Still lower than it has been in years, but appears to be on the upswing. We all knew it wasn't going to last forever.

What goes down, will come up. Thats economics and...you gotta pay to play....

Oil was $2.18 last week. So we called for a delivery yesterday which locked it at yesterdays price for a delivery tomorrow, that price being $2.26.

All it takes is a simple rumor or a single statement from the right person and up the prices go.

Just another valley and hill on the roller coaster ride! Have fun while you are running down hill then go back and wait in line forever for that minute of fun.....

Reactions: Lake Girl
+1 Still cheaper than 4 bucks a gallon for e-laced regular.

I am not complaining that it's below $3 a gallon. Still sucks diesel is way up comparatively speaking. It's another game played with a bunch of political monkeys with game board spinners in some back room.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Hey, we just got down to $2.00 (okay, I did see one at $1.97) last week and I saw oil at $2.67 locally. Today gas was still the same at 5AM, but who knows about the heating oil prices.

About half the stations in International Falls, MN are still under $2 but could be trending up too. You knew it wasn't going to last ....

Just checked gasbuddy for Internaional falls and now see prices being revised as of 2 hours ago to $2.15, Cenex, Freedom and several others.:(

I am not complaining that it's below $3 a gallon. Still sucks diesel is way up comparatively speaking. It's another game played with a bunch of political monkeys with game board spinners in some back room.

Tell me anout it. I typically buy 1500 gallons at a time and I know that diesel is easier and less costly to crack than gasoline is but diesel really never dropped that much in price.

The issue with that is, most everything comes by truck and trucks run on diesel so when diesel is high, trucking companies pass on the cost is a fuel surcharge that directly impacts the cost of consumer goods.

If anything, gasoline should subsidize the cost of diesel, that would lower the cost of consumer goods......pellets included.

The issue with that is, most everything comes by truck and trucks run on diesel

Maybe they need to develop a truck that runs on pellets.

Oh, wait...:confused:

What needs to happen is the government needs to get out of the 'green inititative' because it's costing the citizens more every day.

I don't heat with pellets and corn to be green at all. I do it because it's cheaper than my alternative fuel, propane. In other words, I'm cheap.

Reactions: MuchoBueno
I was off by $0.13 on the "bounce" point. Certainly would have been interesting if prices kept falling to zero.

BTW, I just ordered up propane (for my 3 tanks) at $1.79 delivered. I fill once yearly.

Iowa government wants to put a .10 tax on a gallon of gas to pay for road and bridge repairs. Wonder what happened to all the other tax money that was suppose to pay for that thru the years?? Hope someone puts a clause in there that it is to be used only for that purpose!
And ya, all some "speculator has to do is fart and it is a good reason to jack prices up on just about anything. But as of my last gas and light bill, Natural gas is only .88 a therm.

Reactions: bbfarm
Iowa government wants to put a .10 tax on a gallon of gas to pay for road and bridge repairs. Wonder what happened to all the other tax money that was suppose to pay for that thru the years?? Hope someone puts a clause in there that it is to be used only for that purpose!
And ya, all some "speculator has to do is fart and it is a good reason to jack prices up on just about anything. But as of my last gas and light bill, Natural gas is only .88 a therm.
Anyone calculate all the taxes an auto pays a year? Tire excise tax, plate fees, sales tax on the purchase of the tires, oil, parts and the car.

It would probably scare you to calculate it all, and the money they waste. Plus all the out of state people using the roads and paying tax on gas and repairs etc.

Anyone calculate all the taxes an auto pays a year? Tire excise tax, plate fees, sales tax on the purchase of the tires, oil, parts and the car.

Don't, you'll faint. Bottom line is, we are taxed to death in this country...and they want more.

Increasing taxes to rebuild roads seems to be a popular plank these days, Michigan is pulling thr same crap but the legislators here don't have the backbone to institute a tax increase because they know their days will be numbered as legislators so, they are putting it to a popular vote. I believe it will fail.

If politicians in general practiced fiscal responsibility there would be no need for tax increases, maybe no taxes at all.

Reactions: kappel15
I am preparing for the gas hike.

I just bought a used subaru forester that gets close to 30 mpg on highway and semi retired my 20 year old GMC sierra with 266,000+ miles on it.

Furthermore I am going to plate my truck as a farm vehicle to save 3/4 the cost of registration fees.

Our oil tank is full for the first time in years.

Crude Oil has gone up almost $8 a barrell since Friday, that's why gas has gone up

I am preparing for the gas hike.

I just bought a used subaru forester that gets close to 30 mpg on highway and semi retired my 20 year old GMC sierra with 266,000+ miles on it.

Furthermore I am going to plate my truck as a farm vehicle to save 3/4 the cost of registration fees.

Our oil tank is full for the first time in years.

Word to the wise... I'd be careful about plating as a farm truck. I don't know about Wisconsin but here in Michigan to plate Log/Farm, you must prove you are a bona-fide agricultrial operation with a tax ID and using a farm plated vehicle for non farm use and getting caught is a wallet emptying experience in this state....

I plate my 1 ton farm, but it's all farm related and right now, the truck is asleep with the tractors.

Crude Oil has gone up almost $8 a barrell since Friday, that's why gas has gone up
And Steel workers have went on strike at 9 of the refineries. This is the usual time for slow down to get ready for changing over to summer blends and refinery repair.

And Steel workers have went on strike at 9 of the refineries. This is the usual time for slow down to get ready for changing over to summer blends and refinery repair.
Just another excuse for prices to go up like usual

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.