Cheap guy + new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I have to assume there are other thrifty people on this site. My problem is getting the approximately 400 # wood stove off of a delivery truck without paying for lift gate service ($125).

So I'm looking for ideas on how to accomplish this. Here's what I have come up with so far.

Idea #1: Build a ramp out of 2x6's and plywood to slide the stove down the ramp off of the truck. ($50 & can re-use lumber)

Idea #2: Build a platform the same height as the freight truck. Delivery guy can pallet jack the stove onto the platform in my driveway. Then build a tripod out of 4x4's with a come-a-long to lower it to the ground. ($70 & can re-use lumber)

Idea #3: Pick up the stove at the distribution center and have them load the stove onto my pickup with a forklift ($30 for a small ramp)

Idea #4: Build a cantilever out of 2x12's to gain mechanical advantage. See a few glaring problems with this but may need a few platforms to lower it without incident. ($35 and reuse lumber)

Idea #5: ?

Feel free to call me crazy....but also give me an idea.

Thanks!

Pick it up at the distribution center. I did and just slid it down a pair of ramps when I got home. After removing the door and bricks to knock a hundred pounds of weight off of it.

Any of those other contraptions will just delay and piss off the driver.

The guys that delivered my Equinox which is twice the weight of your stove used 4" pvc pipe sections as rollers. Just set the stove and pallet on one pipe then work another under there and lay another in front then push. They had maybe 6 sections long enough to fit under the pallet the stove was shipped on. They had the shop forklift onto their truck and then we backed it up to my deck and rolled it right into my house and from there rolled it to my hearth. If you need to get it up stairs 2 regular sized guys ought to be able to lift 400lbs. If not, build your ramp and roll it up using pipes but don't forget to use a rope so if you loose it......well you know. Once the stove was in place, getting the pallet out from under it did require some heavy lifting but it really wasn't that hard as we never really lifted the stove, we only tipped it.

If this was me I would go with option #3 . . . and when I got home I would remove some of the stove components to lighten the load a bit and then invite several good friends over to help me maneuver the stove off the trailer and to the floor . . . and then while I had them there I would offer some cool beverages to them . . . after bringing the stove into its final resting place.

It seems to me that there would be less chance of damage and easier time-wise to simply have the stove loaded on to a pick-up by fork lift and then remove it by hand vs. trying to slide it down a taller ramp from a ramp truck. In my case the stove shop loaded the stove to my trailer and I was able to tip the trailer up to get it to the garage floor . . . from there several good friends helped me bring the stove inside after I took out some fire bricks, removed doors, etc.

I like #1 and #3. I picked my stove up in my pickup and built a ramp with 2x8's and slid it out. Do you know anyone that has a trailer with ramp tail gate? Or maybe rent one, then you could just use a dolly and roll her out?

When I bought my furnace, we went to the distributer and picked up the furnace. They loaded. When we got home, Dad backed up to a hill and I used the tractor to drag the furnace out of the truck. If you have a hill, use that to your advantage. If not a small ramp should work.

I'm frugal too, but as I get older, I have less patience to mickey mouse together solutions that take a lot of time and effort. There is something to be said for paying someone to install while you relax or do something more enjoyable.

#1 or #3 and what elmoleaf said.

There are getting to be more times when paying is easier and I am a great believer in keeping money flowing and local people employed.

When I picked up my Regency, ( it's a bit lighter around 300#) I just used some 2 X 10 ramps 7.50 ft long. They have the metal ends on them so they sit flat on the tailgate of my truck. I used a refrigerator dolly to wheel it right up the ramp into the truck.
When I got it home I used the ramps to wheel it right into the house, ( it is 3 steps up).
I was able to do it all by myself, no problem.

i agree with elmoleaf - just pay and be done with it - it's not like you are going to be doing this every week ;) amortize the cost over 20 years

How far is the distribution center? and will it save you any additional money to pick it up there? I picked up a new Woodstock Fireview this spring. Showed at the factory with my dad's little S10. They put the stove in the back of the truck and I tied it down and off I went. Getting it down was easy. I just used a couple of 2x6's and slid it down with the help of a couple of friends. The fireview is around 550 lbs so I think you can handle 400. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the comments.

The stove is coming UPS. I think I will try to pick it up at the distribution location and build a small ramp to get it off my truck.

I'm still to young and hard headed to pay for stuff like this. If I can do it I will.

Thanks!

CTburning said:
How far is the distribution center? and will it save you any additional money to pick it up there? I picked up a new Woodstock Fireview this spring. Showed at the factory with my dad's little S10. They put the stove in the back of the truck and I tied it down and off I went. Getting it down was easy. I just used a couple of 2x6's and slid it down with the help of a couple of friends. The fireview is around 550 lbs so I think you can handle 400. Just a thought.

I'm not sure which distribution center I will have to go to. I'm located about 25 min north of Baltimore. I bet it's somewhere around there, so not to far.

just make a platform to stand on, get up to the stove, grab on and ease her down.. 400 lb stove = 200lbs per guy. isn't bad at all, laddie; grab yer stones an latch on, jimmy!

BrotherBart said:
Squiner said:
I'm not sure which distribution center I will have to go to. I'm located about 25 min north of Baltimore. I bet it's somewhere around there, so not to far.

Here are the Maryland UPS freight centers. If you are up around Towson then none of them are real close.

http://www.ltl.upsfreight.com/ProductsandServices/terminals/termdef.aspx?qcountry=US&qstate=MD

Thanks for the link...I was trying to find that earlier.

Looks like I'm about equidistant between two of them, about 40 min (elkton and baltimore locations). I can do that.

summit said:
just make a platform to stand on, get up to the stove, grab on and ease her down.. 400 lb stove = 200lbs per guy. isn't bad at all, laddie; grab yer stones an latch on, jimmy!

He he...you think the delivery guy will help me?

Squiner said:
summit said:

He he...you think the delivery guy will help me?

maybe, but prob not.. tell one of your buddies to help you out. tell 'em to suck it up, get their skirt outta the grass. maybe you'll buy 'em a beer later, but its man up time. it is really not hard at all, and you will feel so awesome telling your wife about moving 400 (okay, 200 per guy) lbs off a truck, not to mention telling every wuss buddy that told you no when you asked for a hand. just grab on tight, and ease down w/ your legs.

BTW re: Idea No. 2...If anyone does plan to build a tripod from 4x4 lumber, for multiple uses....I made one from 8' galvanized fenceposts. Much more strength for no more weight and little additional cost.

edit: took out the UPS info. My poor internet browsing habits put me way behind BB and the rest. Sorry.

An appliance cart is your friend. Borrow one if you can and pick the stove up at the DC. Double up those 2x6s, maybe 10s, and roll it out of the back of your truck to its burning place. Save your stones for something you can't overcome with the advantage of the wheel.

guys, its only 400 lbs.. take off the door and take the bricks out, and you got 300. 315 tops...back a pickup truck up to the back of the semi, the stove should be at your hip level when you stand in the pickup bed.. get a couple 2 Xs and ramp it down from there, or just slide her off and ease her into the bed using your legs to lift. or a combo of both... if you don't feel comfy lifing it, then DO NOT use a dolly and a ramp.. it sucks to sally out and let go on the ramp and have the stove go for a ride, crashing into bystanders and rolling on itself. if you slide it down on some 2 Xs into a truck bed the grade should be gradual enough, and the 2 Xs provide friction on the stove's pallet, for you to control the descent pretty well...

summit said:
DO NOT use a dolly and a ramp.. it sucks to sally out

C'mon sally out? I did it myself.

SolarAndWood said:
summit said:
DO NOT use a dolly and a ramp.. it sucks to sally out

C'mon sally out? I did it myself.

i saw a guy let go of a lopi on a dolly, going onto the ramp from the back of his pickup from the as yet stairless new house he was building. fis feet slid a bit on the plywood and 2X ranp, he fell, lost the stove, and it went straight into his rear windshield on his brand new dodge. he panicked and let go. the window was even one w/ a fancy rear defrost.. still had the temp plates on it... sad story...

summit said:
i saw a guy let go of a lopi on a dolly, going onto the ramp from the back of his pickup from the as yet stairless new house he was building. fis feet slid a bit on the plywood and 2X ranp, he fell, lost the stove, and it went straight into his rear windshield on his brand new dodge. he panicked and let go. the window was even one w/ a fancy rear defrost.. still had the temp plates on it... sad story...

very sad story...hope it worked out.

Squiner, be careful if you use the appliance cart. As long as you avoid a scenario like that, the cart makes it very easy to move heavy items into place. The carts with straps work the best.

I would just lift it out with a friend . 400lbs is no big deal . Rent a refrigerator dolly and roll it in the house . John

Status
Not open for further replies.