Check out this video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, what is a 'pallet' stove and no, I don't know, you know?;lol

You got to be kidding me, under a window and on the carpeting with no hearth pad? The dude has a 200 grand house and a $1.98 mentality. Did you leave a comment on his video? I say he has guts posting it for all to see.

When it fails, he'll probably come on this site asking for help......

Reactions: MuchoBueno
First off, what is a 'pallet' stove and no, I don't know, you know?;lol

You got to be kidding me, under a window and on the carpeting with no hearth pad? The dude has a 200 grand house and a $1.98 mentality. Did you leave a comment on his video? I say he has guts posting it for all to see.

When it fails, he'll probably come on this site asking for help......
You know...lol serioisly I know I saw lots of things wrong with his install but who am I to comment. I wanted to run it by you guys n dolls first. I'm actually worried. I really hope he doesn't run into problems because like many of us he's trying to heat his house and save a little bit of coin. Btw Side, I don't use a pellet stove because it's renewable energy and yada yada yada also :)

1/ Under a window that opens ..... err ! Not good ;hm :rolleyes:
2/ Vented straight out onto a wooden deck ! A big no no ! :ZZZ
3/ Stove sitting on a carpet ...... Now I've seen it all ..... Major fire hazard install. :ZZZ:ZZZ
4/ I bet that was not inspected. ::P :rolleyes:
5/ Where does he live, I want to be at least 5 miles away from his home when it goes up in flames. :ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ:ZZZ

With his luck, it will work flawlessly all winter, never singe the carpet and never light the deck off...... Just say'in.

Reactions: Tonyray and Cory S
5000sq ft home??? Glad I don't want/need something that ridiculously large.......... Hate to break it to him, but in his situation, he's going to almost spend the same on pellets as propane.

I just left a comment pointing out the lack of hearth pad and venting near the window.

By next year some TV station or maybe a review magazine somewhere will report that "pallet" stoves are dangerous!!!.......LOL

What, no one caught there was no surge suppressor?

Reactions: fmsm and Lake Girl
I could hear children in the background,someone needs to stop in and choke some sense into him,not just post a comment.

What is the proper way to do a "above deck" install? (besides the window, besides the pad,) Run the pipe up the side of the house till you clear the roof a certain distance?

Could you keep going horizontally till you clear the deck? Supported by non consumables of course.

I have a very similar house size and fireplace setup. I think enough was said about the install. I will add that I think he should have gotten the insert instead.

They make beautiful inserts these days, and if looks were so important - he could have gotten an brown enamel or mahogany or another nice cast iron stove that would have looked great instead of that gas fireplace and certainly better then having two stoves/fireplace next to each other taken space...

People just don't know any better. its a learning curve, and its even worse if your not a native, don't have anyone to tell you your doing something stupid. I feel bad for him. I don't think I was far off from this guy when I first started my "Pellet Stove" adventure, and I keep learning stuff every day. Personally, I wouldn't dare to do an install myself on a fire appliance, with my kids in the house. He needs help and better education/guidance and he will be just fine. maybe get a good installer to come over and fix things right?

Last edited:
Reactions: GENECOP
Well, at least he installed the OAK :)

The first thing I thought was, hey, he needs a surge protector. Next thing I thought was, probably has no fire extinguisher or CO detector nearby either.

I understand that he is a newbie, but that means he should have been really digging into the manual for install do's and don'ts (page 7 for not on carpet, page 9 for clearances) - not just winging it. This is a fire breathing machine for goodness sake, it can burn your house down in 2 shakes if you do incredibly stupid stuff.

Keep in mind, it's a 'pallet' stove and do you know? You know.....

Reactions: bogieb
What is the proper way to do a "above deck" install? (besides the window, besides the pad,) Run the pipe up the side of the house till you clear the roof a certain distance?

Could you keep going horizontally till you clear the deck? Supported by non consumables of course.

Page 9.A: at the very least, according to the manual, it should be 24" above burnable surfaces (it looks like it is way under 2 ft. Additionally, common sense tells you not to make it a trip hazard.

I would be more inclined to treat it like Page 9.L with 7 feet clearance above paved sidewalk or driveway (just because there will be foot traffic there).

Somehow, I don't believe the video poster ever read the manual, he probably used it to start the first fire.......

He stated (in the video) that he watched a U Tube video and followed the video to install. That video is probably bogus too. Glad I'm not his insurance carrier.........pallet stove...lol

Umm- Youtube has a plethora of helpful tutorials for everything under the sun, but for the installation of a heating appliances or the like there is no substitute to the Manufacturer's manual...frightening stuff...

Umm- Youtube has a plethora of helpful tutorials for everything under the sun, but for the installation of a heating appliances or the like there is no substitute to the Manufacturer's manual...frightening stuff...

And done everyday because if it's posted on the Net, it has to be gospel. In some ways the Internet is a horrible tool. This is one of those ways......

Reactions: bags
You know, I got this here pallet stove to heat my 5000 sq. ft. house, you know. You know, I can't afford, you know, propane but, you know, I can afford the payments on my huge house, you know. You know, I didn't read the manual because, you know, it's just a bunch of lawyer talk and all, you know. I didn't place it over here, you know, because dat wall got studs, you know, and this one over here don't have no studs, you know. It be OK to vent it over that wood deck, you know, 'cause it be cold out there, you know, and them sparks go out right away. We don't open that window in the winter, you know, so all you commenting 'bout that is wrong, you know, 'cause I saw it on YouTube. I gotta go now, you know, 'cause my agent is calling about a job on the Seattle Seahawks. I here there's a job for , you know, an offensive coordinator. Thank y'all for watchin and stay warm, you know.

Thats too funny....._g

Reactions: tjnamtiw

The only install near a deck that I remember from the last 3 years was one that was a vertical run and was protected by non-combustibles on the deck side. Would seriously have to consult with local building inspectors on what they would find acceptable.

In the video instance, not supposed to vent in a walkway or under decking - two strikes right there not to mention window, hearth pad, wrong hood on OAK (plastic dryer hood). .. I'm sure there is more:(

Status
Not open for further replies.