Check this out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strangemainer

Sep 2, 2008
Waterboro, Maine
Not really sure about this idea, may be great for some. Really need my heat in the cellar before snow flies, trying to get deliveries in the winter is a major pain in my arse.

I know a guy that has a corn furnace and he has a similar setup with bin and delivery. I guess it's better than the oil man.

$275 / ton is the same as bagged. Shouldn't bulk delivery be significantly less expensive than bagged?

The last time I checked (in April) I could get bulk pellets delivered for $199.

Retired Guy said:
Anyone remember basement coal bins and coal deliveries?
Yes I do. I remember watching the truck back in the driveway; put a chute to the cellar window where the coal bin was; and pouring the heavy canvas bags of coal down the chute.
I was just a kid then watching from the window, probably not allowed to get any closer so as not to be a pest. I guess I'm really showing my age, huh!
:coolsmirk:

Good point...it should be cheaper for bulk delivery.

I do like the idea though!

Romy said:
$275 / ton is the same as bagged. Shouldn't bulk delivery be significantly less expensive than bagged?

You would think so! Same thing with coal in my area. Bagged is approx 40.00 cheaper than bulk. I also worry about being shorted with bulk. I know they are supposed to weigh the truck but I still wonder if you really get what you pay for in bulk.

I saw there demo last fall i cant remember where though. I told him that i was in the stove business and that when he really started pushing the bulk delivery how it was so much less work than bags it into the basement. i had one question for him that they could not answer and they kind of blew me off about it. (what happens when the pellets turn to saw dust after being blown through the system) i never got my answer to my question. personally i would rather lug bags of junk pellets out of my basement than try to deal with a hopper of 3 tons full

Kittery said:
Retired Guy said:
Anyone remember basement coal bins and coal deliveries?
Yes I do. I remember watching the truck back in the driveway; put a chute to the cellar window where the coal bin was; and pouring the heavy canvas bags of coal down the chute.
I was just a kid then watching from the window, probably not allowed to get any closer so as not to be a pest. I guess I'm really showing my age, huh!
:coolsmirk:

well, Kittery, you geezer ( ;-P ), I'll do you one better! When in early high school, I had to help deliver those loads of coal! Some of the drops, you just put the chute in the window, raised up the coal dump (these trucks actually had a dump in a scissors lift!), and shot it in.....THOSE were the GOOD deliveries......the worst ones were where you put a canvas bag mounted on a wire frame ON YOUR BACK, backed yourself up to the coal truck, put roughly 100 lbs of loose coal in the bag, closed the gate, and carried it into their cellar and dumped it into the bin. I remember one where you had to go down the bulkhead stairs, into a door that was maybe 5' tall (Im 6'3"), and simultaneously step over a granite block about 12" high (read that stoop and step at the same time, with 100 lbs on your back)........now, keep in mind, that a typical home would use 4-8 tons of coal per year (thats alot of trips)......oh, and those deliveries were FREE! I shudder to think of trying to fill that coal-carrying position THESE days....heck, even trying to find someone who could carry, and be willing to carry, 100 lbs at a whack, over and over again....you know, I still have those bags.....

Good idea but We looked into it and the more you move pellets the more the density will breakdown. Go find a farmer or such and have him run a bag or two through his auger (not the one in your stove) and see what the end product looks like.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.