Cherry blossom tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cherry burns great and in your area it might be one of the best for hardwoods. Another good point is that it seems to season fairly quick.

this is the non fruit producing Japanese cherry tree...sakura....it feels and looks like a good hardwood but doesn't have the cherry smell....

It burns just fine once seasoned. Similar to plum.

I burn a lot of black cherry, probably similar. It seems to me to have about the same burning characteristics as white ash.
I love it, it's one of my favorite woods to burn. It smells so good coming out of the chimney.

Cherry burns spectacularly but I would rather put it up in the lathe and turn it into something than burn it sometimes! I had a overgrown one that I had to take down. I wouldn't ever really want to take down a cherry to begin. Anyway, I took it down and seasoned the smaller or crooked stuff but kept the straighter and thicker stuff for the lathe. I am going to dry it before turning it and haven't turned it yet but it looks good so far. Best of luck to you burning it if you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.