Chestnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Just split some chestnut. Splits nicely, how does it burn. I know its mediocre fuel, any experience with it?

Unfortunately I've never even seen an American Chestnut. I've read they used to make up a good portion of our forests.

Matt

"Under a spreading chestnut-tree.
The village smithy stands"

Used to be vast amounts east of the Mississippi. We had two American Chestnuts in the backyard of our old house. The landlord called them "nuisance trees" and told us to go ahead and cut them to throw into our furnace. But we recognized the tree by its leaves and distinctive nuts. We harvested the nuts for years (extremely tasty) and no one would believe they were really American chestnuts. Eventually, they received enough attention that we got a man from the local cooperative extension to come take a look see. He thought we might have a rare and extremely valuable disease-resistant strain. Turns they came from shoots that had grown out of blight-resistant living stumps. Apparently, the roots of the chestnut are usually blight resistant, and they send up shoots which can grow into small trees. Once the trees get to be a certain size, the blight (usually carried non-symptomatically in oak) the blight kills them. We moved out of there 20 years ago, so I'm sure those trees are gone now. I sure do miss those free chestnuts, though. Roasted thousands of them "by the open fire" with the kids.

BTW, I've heard chestnut is crappy firewood.

But it's very nice for furniture and such. I would not burn it if it could be used or converted to lumber, some people will pay good money for it.

He must be talking about Chinese chestnut - there's no way he's cut an american chestnut that's big enough to split and burn. I've only seen a couple ever growing large enough to produce a few nuts and those probably weren't long for the world.

the roots have stayed alive since all the trees died 100 years ago. they keep sending up shoots which will live a few years or so and then die. you'll usually see a couple growing out of the same stump sprout - one young one, next to an older one that has recently died and it still standing - usually not more than 20' tall.

I think I have an american chestnut. Probably 50-60 yrs old. A couple of branches broke off when a pine fell near it. This tree is surrounded by pine trees, thats probably why it has lasted.

After doing some research, its probably a chinese chestnut. Maybe I'll look at the leave more closely when the sprout in a month.

I've looked into planting some DED resistant elms. If they weren't so pricey I'd certainly try to get a few planted around here.

Matt

if it was an american chestnut and was over 50 years old then it would be a pretty big tree. Chinese chestnuts don't grow that large or tall and usually have sprawling limbs.

I've read that american chestnut grew very fast, and they grew to be absolutely massive trees. If you have a living 50 year old american chestnut, then you will quickly be very popular with restoration ecologists. One of my coworkers is working on american chestnut restoration and she's dealing with 7/8s hybrids (1/8 chinese chestnut and 7/8 american chestnut).

FLINT said:
you'll usually see a couple growing out of the same stump sprout - one young one, next to an older one that has recently died and it still standing - usually not more than 20' tall.

Ours were only maybe 20-25' tall, but they had OK crowns and gave lots of nuts. Scary sharp spines on them, though.

yeah, I hear you on that. we had 2 chinese chestnuts growing in the backyard at our last house, and man, if didn't have shoes on, those things were brutal on your feet!!!!

I remember an American Chestnut in the back yard 50 years ago. When we were kids we would throw rocks and things at the chestnuts to get them. Green shell .
I remember it dying and there being an orange fungus on the stump for years.

Jiffy pop and chestnuts roasting over an open fire in the fireplace.
I don't recall the chestnuts tasting all that good, though.

That tree was the same size as the full size oaks that surrounded it and are still there.

I've read there are still some American Chestnuts in isolated areas , but very few.

Status
Not open for further replies.