Chimney across a window. Repair or replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 19, 2015
Salem, NY
I haven't decided if this is a chimney question or a window replacement question...
I decided last year, after a mild winter of mediocre burning with an oversize flue, that I was going to install a liner. I also decided to replace some windows on the second floor. We're not living upstairs so I hadn't looked at it very closely until I went to measure for the windows. That's when I realized the chimney is in the way of the window.
The original flue starts in the basement. When they added another along side for the first floor they built right over the window locking the aluminum storm window in place and making it impossible to seal a replacement window on the outside.
This project won't be finished this fall, but I'm trying to figure out what direction to go with it. If the chimney is staying I can invest in a liner, but if it's going to come down I'd rather work with the inefficient system (yes with frequent inspection and cleanings) for one more year and fix it all in the summer.
Other solutions might include a liner from thimble to second floor, adapted to metal chimney with an offset to give space for the window. I'm afraid to take the chimney down below the thimble because of the way the thimble and hearth are integrated but I might be convinced.
I'm also intimidated by the price of metal chimney and really drawn to the cost savings of a liner.

From outside
IMG_20161020_085641008-600x1067.jpg
IMG_20161020_085552762-1067x600.jpg

From inside
IMG_20161020_083803694_HDR-600x1067.jpg
IMG_20161020_083855849-1067x600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161020_085641008-600x1067.jpg
    IMG_20161020_085641008-600x1067.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 158
It almost looks like you have 2 chimneys, one being original to the house and the second built after the fact. Does the one in the window go to the basement or the main floor? I would definitely get the opinion of a certified sweep on the matter.

It almost looks like you have 2 chimneys, one being original to the house and the second built after the fact. Does the one in the window go to the basement or the main floor? I would definitely get the opinion of a certified sweep on the matter.
The newer one (across the window) is the one causing the problem, and also the most important. It is in line with the hearth and woodstove on the first floor. The old one to the basement is not currently in use, though I'd like to set it up eventually to keep pipes from freezing on the really cold days.

Ok I see. What is the interior dimensions of the chimney going to the main level hearth and stove? And could you tell us more about the hearth? Perhaps explain more how the hearth and wall thimble are integrated. A picture would help too

Ok I see. What is the interior dimensions of the chimney going to the main level hearth and stove? And could you tell us more about the hearth? Perhaps explain more how the hearth and wall thimble are integrated. A picture would help too
The flue is a rectangular tile, something like 6"x11" with an 8" thimble. The goal of the liner was to reduce to 5.5-6" to get better draft and higher flue temps. Burning an all nighter, I think it's a Mid Moe, with a 5.5" I.D. flue collar.
5.5" liner will fit uninsulated, I was still trying to decide if the tiles should come out to make room for insulation and possibly a full 6" liner.
I guess the thimble is supported by the wall, so I could tear down the chimney and leave the thimble, but there's still a pretty big price difference between a liner and metal chimney.

The thimble was flush with the wall, plastered, papered and painted up to the edge of the tile. I cast an extension to come through the wall protection with a pebble veneer. I intend to tile the cement board with similar tiles when I have time to cast them (with this house it could be a few years).
IMG_20161020_101933147-600x1067.jpg

Last edited:
Well if the chimney is in good shape (besides the window situation) I would just line it. I personally would always go insulated liner. Better draft and safer for clearances to combustibles (if the chimney is not up to code).

Thanks, I thought of that, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Does new piece of wall filling behind the chimney have to be weather tight, or should the flashing keep water from getting between the chimney and the wall?

Take the old window apart back to the studs. Behind the chimney, add 2x until you are past the chimney. Measure the opening and install a new construction window that has the flange around it. Finish the exterior with new wood or sheet metal flashing. There won't be much weather behind the chimney so it can be finished off however you are comfortable doing it.

Well if the chimney is in good shape (besides the window situation) I would just line itI've see personally would always go insulated liner. Better draft and safer for clearances to combustibles (if the chimney is not up to code).

I agree. If the stove is set up for 5.5", than a 5.5" liner will fit with insulation. Is your pipe from the stove to thimble 6"?

smaller window for sure... tear out the old one and put in a new window.... easy peasy.

Salem, NY? Just up the road from my camp on Hedges Lake.

Totally replace. If you're doing it on a budget, go hunt seconds/slightly damaged or canceled orders at a place like curtis lumber. Since you're doing the framing, you have some flexibility.

I would like to recommend to you to replace it with some new style so that it will not only help you to expand you chimney area across it and maintain it well, also your window will look better with the new renovation. Installing the French style Casement doors and windows is in rage these days. Besides adding to the architectural styling of a building, the latest Casement windows and doors available with U PVC frames are also very secure and hassle-free. you could try here for more details about this. Hope it helps.

Ok, it sounds like there are ways to change the window without removing the chimney so I went ahead with the liner. Will re-point the chimney in the spring and change the window before we move upstairs.