Chimney adapter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-clip

Nov 20, 2011
Tax-u-fornia
Hello everyone! I'm very grateful to have found this forum.

I just placed an order for an Englander 17-VL that's replacing my Kent (Sherwood) along with the single wall stove pipe. It's all situated in the main living area of of my home.

The distance from the floor to the chimney support box (cathedral ceiling) is just under 13ft. From the support box the chimney length is 12ft. plus cap. Both stove pipe and chimney go straight vertical from the stove outlet, no bends.
The support box originally placed the stove pipe 20" from the wall. I relocated the box closer to the wall to take advantage of the double wall stove pipe clearance. When the stove gets here, I'm guessing that the stove pipe length will be around 9 feet.

The new chimney adapter is a very short stainless steel piece. I'd much rather use the original 12" long adapter, although it's not stainless, the longer length in my opinion gives a bit more structural rigidity.

Has anyone ever tried this? Are there drawbacks for fitting a steel chimney adapter with a stainless steel stove pipe? If it's a matter of maintaining stainless steel exposure, then I could cut the old adapter down to 4" and I think it would still offer a more solid connection.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this,
many thanks in advance

E-clip said:
Hello everyone! I'm very grateful to have found this forum.

I just placed an order for an Englander 17-VL that's replacing my Kent (Sherwood) along with the single wall stove pipe. It's all situated in the main living area of of my home.

The distance from the floor to the chimney support box (cathedral ceiling) is just under 13ft. From the support box the chimney length is 12ft. plus cap. Both stove pipe and chimney go straight vertical from the stove outlet, no bends.
The support box originally placed the stove pipe 20" from the wall. I relocated the box closer to the wall to take advantage of the double wall stove pipe clearance. When the stove gets here, I'm guessing that the stove pipe length will be around 9 feet.

The new chimney adapter is a very short stainless steel piece. I'd much rather use the original 12" long adapter, although it's not stainless, the longer length in my opinion gives a bit more structural rigidity.

Has anyone ever tried this? Are there drawbacks for fitting a steel chimney adapter with a stainless steel stove pipe? If it's a matter of maintaining stainless steel exposure, then I could cut the old adapter down to 4" and I think it would still offer a more solid connection.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this,
many thanks in advance

Most manufacturers warrant their system as a complete unit. Changing from that may void the warranty. That said, whatever works for you, works. With the weight of that Class A, it ain't going anywhere regardless of which adapter you use.

Warranty!..........never thought of that. This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.

Snapped the stainless steel adapter in today.
Thanks again!

E-clip said:
Warranty!..........never thought of that. This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.

Snapped the stainless steel adapter in today.
Thanks again!

Good luck! Hope she runs great for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.