That's good advice Begreen, but other factors obviously at play here. The only creosote issue I seem to have, and the main topic of the thread, is the small amount of creosote that deposits on chimney caps, and the fact it can ignite. In my case that only seems to be happening on my EPA stove where I do burn very cleanly (hot, non-smoldering fires), evidenced by the fact that the chimney itself had no significant creosote build up. The stove in the shop, where I have smoldering fires sometimes, hasn't had that problem, likely because of the shorter chimney, and because it just gets less use. In reality, it makes sense that any cap will get more deposit than the flue itself since the flue is insulated, and the cap is just a thin un-insulated piece of metal that sits on the very top of the flue where the smoke has had the greatest opportunity to cool down. The longer the flue, the greater opportunity that smoke is going to have to cool down, and since the cap is so exposed to the cool air it's basically going to act like a creosote magnate when the smoke flows past it.