Chimney cinder blocks appearing through stucco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonostang

Oct 17, 2023
Hi there, first time post.

I have a chimney whose cinderblock joints started appearing through the stucco in the last year.

Would you know what is happening here? Is this a stucco job or a rebuild of the chimney?

20231017_143552.jpg 20231017_143728.jpg

Could be moisture seeping into and softening the mortar. Have a mason come out and see if a basic repointing is sufficient. Are there signs of water intrusion inside the chimney?

Maybe (likely). I live in central florida and the rains are pretty strong. We've not had a hurricane but have had very strong rainy winds. By that I mean that it's raining and the the water is being pushed horizontally into walls so it may be that this combination is pushing water into the chimney. It's from 1984 so whatever protection it has may have worn out.

I’d get it inspected to see if repointing will be sufficient, but have them check the top for leaks. It’s odd if all that showed Up in a year and might point to structural issues.