1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney Cleaning - Thoughts on these flexible rods?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by gman1001, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gman1001

gman1001 Member

Loc:
    Sales
    Any and all thoughts apreciated!

I want to clean my own chimney - I thought after the 1st year the equipment will pay for itself.

I have to clean from the bottom through a cleanout on the outside of my masonry (brick) chimney. The iron framed opening is about 6-8 inches square.

Do you guys think I can get these flex rods to go up the chimney? Are these on Northern Hydrolics rods a good option?

Your thoughts apreciated.

Tx,

Rods here: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21892_21892

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Yes they should work for you . There are different length rods from 3' - 6' ( mine are 3' X 5 rods ) They have a good amount of flex to them for going up from the bottom .
  3. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Just make sure that the rods fit the brush you're buying. There are two common attachment (screw) sizes IIRC, maybe more.
  4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    You can maybe find it cheaper local, for once northern tool looks expensive.
    you can find 4' rods for about 6 bucks a section and most any hearth supply. and as metioned above, make shure the brush fits, the common residentian size us 1/4" NPT
    There brush prices look the same as local shops too.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    And that flex can be a bad thing. I used them to clean the clay flues before putting the liners in and on the thirty foot one the darn things bowed out so much they couldn't push the new brush all of the way down. Had to do like the Pace Piquante Sauce commercial. "Get a rope."
  6. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    The ones we use are fiberglass and 6 ft long and they work well. Ours does a bit of the weeble wobble but maybe with the shorter lengths 36" it could be stiffer..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.