Chimney cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttingedge

Nov 11, 2013
Maine
I figured that this would be the best place to get the answers that I seek so here goes.
I have just had a Jotul F55 installed in my living room fireplace. It is set back so that the liner (all insulated flexible) goes straight up through my existing clay lined brick chimney. What is the best way to clean this chimney liner? Since it sits somewhat in my opening and goes straight up, there is not much room for me to move around the stove. What do I have to disconnect? Can I go through the stove or would it be better from the top? I am asking because I am new to these EPA stoves and have never had to deal with anything other than tile lined chimneys. I do have a brand new soot eater in the box. Is this sufficient or should I get a new brush head for my chimney brush?
Thanks,
Jason

If you can take apart the guts of the stove then I highly recommend a soot eater. Used it for the first time this year, with two full kits connected together to get 36', and was amazed with how easy and well it worked. It took a little work to get it into the pipe from inside my VC Merrimack insert, but once I got started it worked great. Cost for both kits together was half what I paid for a chimney sweep to come last year.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.