Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Do they make a flexible rod or something that you can connect to your brush and then connect to your fiber glass rods so you can clean the bends in your insert liner? I was messing around in Menards yesterday and I just dont think those three foot rods will flex enough for my bend in my liner where it goes through the damper area. Thanks for any replies.

Had the same issue last year as I had a straight shot once up the liner, but couldn't make the 80-90 degree bend to get the rods through the stove into the liner. I picked up 2 kits of the sooteater as I had appx 27 feet to go, and have to say I am very pleased with it. I just use a cordless drill and clean one section at a time.. Lots of folks here use the sooteater and I have yet to see a negative review on one. Good luck.

Ps. Mods, I have no affiliation with the compnay, so if the link is not allowed please remove....tried to find a normal youtube video of just a homeowner using, but came up empty.

So i went to TSC today and bought a pack of Rutland flexible chimney cleaning rods (they are not that flexible). I never used my poly brush yet so everything was brand spanking new. I installed the first rod to the brush and had a little trouble getting the brush in the liner, the rod pack was a pack of six. So away i went (screwing on one rod at a time as i pushed them down the liner) i got five of the rods installed and down the chimney then i couldnt push the brush any deeper into the liner, now I have a problem I cant pull the brush out either, so after some name calling and pulling hard i finally got the brush and rods out of the liner. I then went to the garage and trimmed the brush head a bit. Lets try this again, the brush head fit much easier into the liner and still grabbed the sides of the liner so I could screw on another rod. I ran the brush down the liner as far as i could and I could obviously hear it cleaning the sides of the liner. I left the brush and rods in the liner and went to the insert to see if I could see the brush sticking out the liner anywhere ( to see if i made it all the way through the liner) and I could not see anything, its too hidden by the way the insert is made. I went back to the roof and took out the brush and rods and put the cap back on. My question is how do I know if I cleaned the bend in the liner where it goes through the damper area in the chimney? I want to to do a good job and be safe. The liner wasnt dirty I basically did this for practice and want to hone in my chimney cleaning skills.

I have two 30 degree double-wall black elbows just below the ceiling in the family (stove) room. There is about 1 foot of pipe between them. I also questioned being able to run my brush / rods through these two elbows. I was pleasantly surprised that it went through without a problem, though the resistance was considerably more than through the straight pipe. I was able to get to within about 2 feet of the top of the stove with the rods I have (fiberglass 5' rods from Menards)...thinking I don't need to clean this last two feet since we always run our T5 with the stovepipe 400+. BTW, my wife was checking to see where the brush ended up in the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.