Chimney conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

freelagw

Feb 28, 2013
I have a a brick chimney lined with clay, currently have a Harman pellet stove vented with a steel liner up the chimney. I want to put in a wood stove at a later date. I am wondering if I can remove the brick chimney and replace with triple wall or something else, because the flashing leaks around the brick chimney, and I was thinking that a pipe would be easier to maintain? Also is this diy do-able? Thanks

Yes you can remove it and replace it with a prefab. But use double wall insulated not triple wall. And depending on you skill level it is diy able. But is it worth all of that effort for a flashing leak?