Chimney height/Creosote build-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
All other things being equal, am I right in assuming a correlation between chimney height and creosote build-up, i.e., taller chimney, more creosote?

I found that most of my creosote ended up right across from the outlet from the stovepipe itself.
Sorry it doesn't help you.
Chad

brooktrout said:
All other things being equal, am I right in assuming a correlation between chimney height and creosote build-up, i.e., taller chimney, more creosote?

I would cautiously say there is no direct correlation between the two. A taller chimney, within reason, should give you better draft and therefore reduce creosote, BUT there is so much else involved in the equation(wood moisture content, stove temps, air flow, chimney temp, etc. etc.) that a blanket statement can't be made like that.

Not much correlation. Naturally, the higher the chimney the better the draft. However, you can have a great draft, but if you close down the stove and also burn unseasoned wood, you will get creosote. Also, it depends upon the chimney. For example, in cold climates if you just have a SS chimney with no chase, you may get more creosote. But thankfully with the new stoves it isn't much of a problem unless people burn unseasoned wood. We put up a new SS chimney last year and have not cleaned it yet. Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.