1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney Height

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Donl, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donl

Donl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    The chimney graph chart in the EKO users manual indicates that for the EKO 40 with an 8" chimney a 30 foot chimney is required to provide adequate draft. Since I am planning to to locate the boiler in a small outdoor shed which is only 10 feet in height I would need to extend the chimney an additional 20 feet. Won't that look great! I would like to keep the chimney at about 15 feet high. Other than using a draft inducer fan, is there any other way I can reduce the chimney height? Is adequate draft primarily required to get the fire going? Once started the heat will assist in maintaining a good draft?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    My EKO 60 has an 8-inch chimney and it's probably only about 20 feet high. Drafts like a dream.
  3. Donl

Donl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ontario
    Glad to hear that Eric! Especially when the graph shows that the height for an EKO 60 is 43.3 feet.
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I don't know where they got half the information in that manual. Lost in translation, I guess.
  5. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    I am also installing an EKO 40 in a shed and the sales rep suggested a 6" pipe and 2 -3' sections just enough to get above the shed. He also said the pipe is very inexpensive at Menards and suggested I purchase it there if I could.
  6. hkobus

hkobus Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    Good morning all,

Just looking at this post and I agree, my EKO 40 is in a shed and I used 3 sections 7". It seems to draft well most times, but I need to get a draft control yet for the windy days. I still have some smoke roling out at fill ups some times, I would like to fix that yet.
    Any suggestions on a draft control, just lokking at the good old T model.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.