Chimney Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donl

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Ontario
The chimney graph chart in the EKO users manual indicates that for the EKO 40 with an 8" chimney a 30 foot chimney is required to provide adequate draft. Since I am planning to to locate the boiler in a small outdoor shed which is only 10 feet in height I would need to extend the chimney an additional 20 feet. Won't that look great! I would like to keep the chimney at about 15 feet high. Other than using a draft inducer fan, is there any other way I can reduce the chimney height? Is adequate draft primarily required to get the fire going? Once started the heat will assist in maintaining a good draft?

My EKO 60 has an 8-inch chimney and it's probably only about 20 feet high. Drafts like a dream.

Glad to hear that Eric! Especially when the graph shows that the height for an EKO 60 is 43.3 feet.

I don't know where they got half the information in that manual. Lost in translation, I guess.

I am also installing an EKO 40 in a shed and the sales rep suggested a 6" pipe and 2 -3' sections just enough to get above the shed. He also said the pipe is very inexpensive at Menards and suggested I purchase it there if I could.

Good morning all,

Just looking at this post and I agree, my EKO 40 is in a shed and I used 3 sections 7". It seems to draft well most times, but I need to get a draft control yet for the windy days. I still have some smoke roling out at fill ups some times, I would like to fix that yet.
Any suggestions on a draft control, just lokking at the good old T model.

Status
Not open for further replies.