Chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Studentdoc

Nov 2, 2015
Ky
IHey guys. I've been browsing the forum for a couple days now trying to see if anyone had a similar situation as mine and had a successful setup, but haven't been able to find anything. We recently bought a new house that has a prefab wood fireplace insert with a 25 foot clay lined exterior chimney (8" diameter). I would like to put a wood furnace in the basement directly below the chimney upstairs. By doing this I know I will have to remove the fireplace insert as there is only 1 flue in the chimney. The plan would be to remove the prefab on the 1st floor then then pipe into the chimney from below. As I have to go through the 1st floor's, floor to get to the chimney I assume I will need class A chimney pipe to maintain appropriate clearances. The furnace I am looking at calls for a 6" flue. This means the OD of the pipe would be 8" (the same size as the ID of the clay liner. The plan would be to run it this season without a stainless steel liner in the tile chimney then adding one before next season. Is there any way to join the stainless steel liner to the class a chimney pipe? Is there any kind of adapter that would work with this application? And how far into the clay lined chimney would you run the pipe? i understand this is not optimal as the appliance calls for a 6" flue and a portion will still be 8". Hope someone can give me some insight as the best way to accomplish this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a sketch or two of the plan?

So you have a prefap fireplace with an insert going into a clay lined chimney? can you post some pics?

Here's my setup. Sorry if it wasn't clear before. The hope is to remove the first floor fireplace leaving the hearth and mantle and having a pipe running up from the basement connecting to the chimney.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 86
Not sure what one would use for the chimney transition. Class A to chimney pipe adapters work in the opposite direction of flow.

It's an odd setup. The alteration in question is even odder. I'm not sure it will help resale value. What about putting a rear exit stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace?

My biggest concern is safety of course. I don't want to have something that is "rigged" and could put my family at risk. I'm not to worried about the resale value of the house for now. I could always go back and reverse things later on. I was hoping to be able to use the existing chimney then putting a cement board over the front of the fireplace opening (after removing the Marco fireplace) and tiling it. (more so to make my wife happy). It's my understanding that most chimney pipe is sold as a complete system so any mix and matching would void the UL. Would the only safe option be to run an exterior class a chimney pipe on the backside of the masonry chimney. I was looking at a 8-6" reducer that I think would probably work to connect the chimney pipe to the SS liner. But again, didn't know if this was safe.

If it were my place I would put a nice looking freestanding stove on the hearth and vent it up a liner dropped down the chimney.

are you sure that is a clay lined chimney? I have never seen a prefab firebox like that hooked to a clay lined chimney and if it is i am pretty sure it does not follow manufacturers instructions and there fore code. I think you need a pro to come out and evaluate things

Status
Not open for further replies.