Chimney liner help'''

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithwd

Feb 10, 2008
ct
have Jotul OSLO 500 with 20 run to roof.

current flu is 6X10

I want to put new liner with insulation.....how would the OSLO react to a 5" chimney liner???

a 6" wouldn't allow for insulation to surround it.....

Consider putting in oval, rigid, insulated Simpson DuraLiner. It works great for exactly this kind of installation.

My Oslo is venting through the aforementioned Simpson oval - works very nicely

CarbonNeutral said:
My Oslo is venting through the aforementioned Simpson oval - works very nicely

What do you use to brush that flue?

Well, funny you should mention that..

one slight problem...................the flue and the damper opening at the fireplace are 90 degrees out of sync....i would have to twist the oval to fit it through to the stove......

don't shoot the messenger I didn't build the chimney.....

I know bigger liners can cause draft problems but how about smaller liners?? or would that be something Jotul might tell me

Well I don't know where your tee is - if it's in your smokeshelf or fireplace area (like mine), then you'd maybe be able to use one of the adapters below and use a round/round tee.

In fact, your tee is going to have to be somewhere in these two, as it's you're not fitting one in the flue..

EDIT: and as you're not fitting the tee down the chimney (check the dims in the simpson manual) , you're going to be very lucky to get it attached in your smokeshelf.

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 3292010 74255 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 3292010 74255 AM.bmp.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 279
the tee is in the fireplace......

I could pull up the oval then reinsert with the adapter and pipe as I feed it down....I'm still looking to insulate the oval which extends 6 feet into the chimney.....

I'm still wondering of the JOtul would tolerate a 5in round pipe that I could insulate from the top (vermiculite etc)

I had Jotul contact a while ago.....got it from Preston Trading Post....and actually talked to a human being....

I dropped my oval down into the fireplace, attached the tee, and pulled back up to the correct height. I did not insulate the flex part of the oval directly - I did buy the sleeve insulation for this part, but could not get it on due to the size of my damper opening (and this was after removal of the damper). Instead I stuffed a whole load of mineral rock wool up there and added a block off plate.

Don't know how well a 5" will draft, but a 5" has 31% less cross-sectional area than 6"..

Preston trading post just told me that I could go up or down an inch for the pipe....so I'm looking at a 5" down the chimney straight into the stove and avoid bends etc.......using vermiculite to insulate down to the damper opening..............................

my wife likes glass on the stove but I'm not sure I bought the best stove for long burns etc....

thanx for the advice.........

Status
Not open for further replies.