Chimney Liner ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
I am in the mid planning stages of my soon to be purchased insert and have a question. The picture below is of my chimney cap, it sits about 35' off the ground and I do not have a ladder tall enough to reach it to measure the size. Picture is with my telephoto lens.

DSC_1253.JPG

My dilemma is whether to knock out the terra cotta liner to make way for a 6" insulated replacement that will connect to the insert. By way of background I had a chimney fire earlier this year (late burning season) due to an overfire on my fault in the traditional open fireplace. (picture is of my other chimney). I suspect the liner has some creosote built up but should not have been too beat up from my mistake.

My concern is that it looks to be an 8x12 liner (can the experts confirm that size please), which would then require an oval stainless liner to be installed. I plan on installing the liner myself, which would require scaffolding to be set up and anchored for safety.

Do I remove existing terra cotta and use the cheaper round liner or leave the rectangular terra cotta and install an oval liner?

I am in the mid planning stages of my soon to be purchased insert and have a question. The picture below is of my chimney cap, it sits about 35' off the ground and I do not have a ladder tall enough to reach it to measure the size. Picture is with my telephoto lens.

View attachment 228444

My dilemma is whether to knock out the terra cotta liner to make way for a 6" insulated replacement that will connect to the insert. By way of background I had a chimney fire earlier this year (late burning season) due to an overfire on my fault in the traditional open fireplace. (picture is of my other chimney). I suspect the liner has some creosote built up but should not have been too beat up from my mistake.

My concern is that it looks to be an 8x12 liner (can the experts confirm that size please), which would then require an oval stainless liner to be installed. I plan on installing the liner myself, which would require scaffolding to be set up and anchored for safety.

Do I remove existing terra cotta and use the cheaper round liner or leave the rectangular terra cotta and install an oval liner?
That is an 8x12. Wether to remove or not in this case would come down to condition. You said you had a fire so they are probably cracked already. Which in that case i would remove them. If they are in good shape and can be cleaned properly i would leave them so the fireplace could be returned to use later

Reactions: spudman99
The 8" x 12" is the size of the outside of the clay tile, inside is probably closer to 6.5" x 10.75", they all very so that's just approximate.
A 6" Flex liner is about 6.25" OD and adding a 1/2" Blanket wrap will add between 1" to 1.5" because of the insulation over lap. There is also Pre-Insulated liners -, 7.25" on the outside.
Adding an insulated flex liner will require removing the Clay Tiles, to make room for the liner and insulation.

Reactions: spudman99
The 8" x 12" is the size of the outside of the clay tile, inside is probably closer to 6.5" x 10.75", they all very so that's just approximate.
A 6" Flex liner is about 6.25" OD and adding a 1/2" Blanket wrap will add between 1" to 1.5" because of the insulation over lap. There is also Pre-Insulated liners -, 7.25" on the outside.
Adding an insulated flex liner will require removing the Clay Tiles, to make room for the liner and insulation.
You are right for a round liner but oval will fit

I know an oval will fit. My question would be "is it better to remove the clay and install a round insulated liner - or leave the clay and install an oval insulated"? Of course every installation is location specific, just wanted to gain a sense of what is most typical.

BTW: if the clay is removed, is the fireplace forever limited to insert use only? Never really thought about that since in this area efficient wood burners are not in demand. Buyers are simply too lazy to acquire and store wood, they would rather turn the gas switch and pay higher utility bills.

I know an oval will fit. My question would be "is it better to remove the clay and install a round insulated liner - or leave the clay and install an oval insulated"? Of course every installation is location specific, just wanted to gain a sense of what is most typical.

BTW: if the clay is removed, is the fireplace forever limited to insert use only? Never really thought about that since in this area efficient wood burners are not in demand. Buyers are simply too lazy to acquire and store wood, they would rather turn the gas switch and pay higher utility bills.
Read my first post most of your question is answered there. And no it would not be permenantly limited to an insert you could always line it for a fireplace again. But that isnt cheap which is why i said if the clay is in good shape leave it. But if you had a chimney fire they are probably cracked so it would need relined anyway. If they are cracked i would remove them and put round in