Chimney Liner needed with new BK Sirocco?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, why get certified if the only people who care are a bunch of nerds on hearth.com? ;lol I guess it comes down to the individual and not the paper, as in many other cases.
If the 8"x11" measurements he gave earlier are O.D. that might draft OK for many 6" stoves. But the BKs need good draft..but not too good. ;) If he had the moolah for a BK, you'd think he'd have enough for a liner. ==c Anything less than a lined chimney is half-arsin' it in my book.
But his chimney is lined just with clay. Yes an insulated stainless liner would be better. But clay liners can be just fine.

And as far as certifications go. There is nothing wrong with them at all but all it proves is that you are reasonably good at taking a test. And you are willing to pay to take the test and pay to maintain your certification. For us the cost was not worth it. In our market it does not matter. In other markets sweeps almost need to be certified.

And as far as certifications go. There is nothing wrong with them at all but all it proves is that you are reasonably good at taking a test. And you are willing to pay to take the test and pay to maintain your certification. For us the cost was not worth it. In our market it does not matter. In other markets sweeps almost need to be certified.

Or...or, you could create your own test and certification and give it to your employees and get them "certified" that way. And then you could make up your own organization to certify other sweeps all over the country. Huh? Huh? You could do that. Yes you could.:)

Reactions: bholler
So I wanted to wrap this thread up with an update.
I finished off last season just fine with not turning the stove down quite as far as I had been and got 8 hour plus burn times. I cleaned out the flue with a Gardus Sooteater. Creosote was minimal.
I saved up some money for a liner and got around to disassembling the cathedral box going through the wall. Had drill out the rivets so I could remove the end of the box and then I could see what I was dealing with:

had to break out some mortar and rock to remove the class A pipe

Unusable once I was finished.
New liner kit from Rockford with a short body Tee kit

Liner installed!

All buttoned back up with a new piece of class A connected to the snout, or take off for you professionals out there, and minus all that insulation. Had to ditch the thimble as the double wall chimney pipe adapter would fit in it.

I'm now able to turn the stove down to get 12+ hour burns and no more condensation in the flue. We're not burning 24/7 yet but will be by the end of the month I'm sure.

Attachments

• Chimney Liner needed with new BK Sirocco?
    IMAG3047.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 72