Chimney Liner Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDC1

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2010
NE Ohio
I have an exterior 13x13 inch clay tile chimney that is 35' tall with no cleanout door and a 8" diameter by 24" long steel thimble into my basement.

I was advised by a sweep that it was safe to use prior to installing my Super Jack furnace last season. Had it swept this fall before the season began and the sweep(different company) said that my creosote was pretty heavy, he couldn't sweep, and it needed an "acid" treatment. After the treatment, he said that i needed to burn the furnace, have it swept in January and then get a liner installed this summer. He then told me that I would need to drill a 10" hole through my rock foundation because a liner expands 2". After I did this, he would install the liner and only charge me $3,000.

I inspected the chimney today and there is no way that it is safe to use. With the warm weather, I have probably about 10 days of use on the acid treatment. I am using dry wood (CSS for 1.5 years). The acid treatment which was supposed to react with the creosote did not change the heavy buildup.

I will be purchasing a liner in the next week or so but am unsure of a few things.

W/O a cleanout door, is a tee kit neccessary?

Can I snake the liner through the thimble and connect my stovepipe directly to the liner?

WIth the heavy creosote accumulation, will a sweep be able to clean it so I can install the liner or will the terra cotta need to be removed?

I have a pretty straight shot, is a flexible liner the best option?

Thanks for the help, I am pretty frustrated with the poor advice that I have received so far concerning this chimney.

I think you would want a tee just to get the 90 degree turn. A clean-out would be nice - not sure if you can cap the bottom of the tee and vacuum the creosote out from the thimble.

One way to check the sweep's advice is to download whatever lliner you plan to use, read their installation guidelines and call them for some upfront technical questions.

Good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.