Chimney pipe fittings and compatibility with other makes pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan melssen

May 13, 2012
I know that chimney pipe is not compatible. But can one manufacturer's pipe use another's fittings? I have access to the required length of pipe of unknown manufacturer but will need to use new fittings (insulation shield, pipe cap, flashing, ect). Is this going to be something I can do?
Thanks for the info.

Single-wall connector pipe might be able to mix brands. But the high temp chimney pipe (class A) and its support, etc. can not.. Nor can double-wall connector pipe brands be mixed.

That stuff is engineered and listed as a system. You might be able to make stuff fit, but the UL listing no longer applies. If it was me, and all I had was some unknown pipe to start with, I would buy new. You want to light a fire in your house, man. Don't cut corners.

Reactions: DexterDay
That stuff is engineered and listed as a system. You might be able to make stuff fit, but the UL listing no longer applies. If it was me, and all I had was some unknown pipe to start with, I would buy new. You want to light a fire in your house, man. Don't cut corners.
I understand that it is a system but it seems that chimney does all the "work". The insulation shield, flashing, rain boot, and cap can't have an effect can it? $700 or so is a lot of money to save after all. If money was not an issue, everyone would be using electricity. Of course, if it is dangerous, it obviously is not worth it. As a layman, it does not seem dangerous. But I do tend to listen to people who know what they are talking about.

The insulation shield can be more integral and as a safety feature, I would not mix. The flashing, storm collar and rain cap less so, though it may take a little jerry-rigging to get them to fit and leaks are a major pita. But how do these items add up to $700?

The insulation shield can be more integral and as a safety feature, I would not mix. The flashing, storm collar and rain cap less so, though it may take a little jerry-rigging to get them to fit and leaks are a major pita. But how do these items add up to $700?

$700 includes new chimney that I would have to buy if I could not reuse the garage chimney

Sounds like we don't have the full picture. Assuming that the existing chimney is safe and legal, perhaps it's possible to just buy the same brand parts as the garage system to hook it up?

Start from the top and tell us what you have and what you want to do. I don't want to misguide you. Pictures are always a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.