Chimney Pipe SS vs. Galvanized In Chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Dweller

Jul 29, 2008
South Jersey Woods
Hi all. Yesterday I wrote:
New to this forum, I’ve been reading some of the posts and I am looking for some opinions on high efficiency fireplaces. I have a huge heatelator Icon 100 (firebox opening is 50” wide, takes 40” logs and produces an awsome open fire!) prefab unit that is only a couple of years old, but I want to replace it with one that will heat. I am considering the Napoleon High Country NZ6000, Extrordinair Elite 44, and the big Lennox / BIS model. I have also looked at the smaller Quadrafire 7100. I have a log home with an open floorplan and loft. Not a huge home, but 22 foot high ceilings in the main living area. I want a heat producer, but I don’t want to be burned out 10 feet in front of the fireplace either. Size matters for appearance. I have a pretty big stone surround. I don’t think a smaller unit would fill the space and look very good. I like the concept of the posi-pressure as presented by Xtrordinair. Log homes are like a living structure with continual expansion and contraction of the logs, so increasing cabin pressure to seal off drafts sounds good! Wood is not a problem. I live on 25 acres of forest.

Update question: One of the vendors I'm considering told me that I could save a little $ by installing galvanized (outer) pipe on the inside of my chase and only use SS out the top. My chase is huge and on the ouside of the house. Does either way make a difference?

I would expect that would be fine, it's a common practice.

As long as you realize he is saying galvanized outer shell, the inner is still S.S. and then anything outside the roof line would be S.S. inner & outer shells.

Yes the inside pipe is SS, only the outer is not. I was told it would save 300-400.

Woods Dweller said:
Yes the inside pipe is SS, only the outer is not. I was told it would save 300-400.
Nuttin wrong with that. Thats how I lined my chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.