chimney pipe ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iatrapper

Jan 27, 2014
Iowa
Might b a stupid question, how close can a chimney pipe b to a natural gas line or gas meter inside and outside of the house? I'm helping me buddy install his wood furnace and we're having some issues running the pipe outside, the furnace is located next to the gas furnace and duct work like the owners manual recommends. Or do we need to put the furnace in another room and run insulated duct work to the existing duct work? We're stumped on what to do.

Good question. I don't know, but would ask the gas company or an licensed HVAC tech or installer. FWIW, Class A clearance to combustibles outside is 2". At that distance the radiant heat is fairly low. How close do you think the gas piping would be to the chimney pipe?

Good question. I don't know, but would ask the gas company or an licensed HVAC tech or installer. FWIW, Class A clearance to combustibles outside is 2". At that distance the radiant heat is fairly low. How close do you think the gas piping would be to the chimney pipe?
I figured we would run black double wall inside, that's got a 6 inch clearance. But for extra safety measures keep it 18 inches from the cast iron gas line. Outside the chimney pipe would b run up the side of the house about 16 inches from the gas meter and gas main. That's with stainless double wall. Makes me nervous, am I being paranoid?

Not sure but I think I have seen gas meters within a couple feet of masonry chimneys in the past. Gas starter piping is in a lot of fireplaces too.

The closest I could find in local regs is that the gas regulator should be 3ft or more from a fireplace cleanout. That is not the same as a class A tee cleanout, but would seem like a very safe distance. Ask the local inspecting authority. Inside it sounds good, but again, check with the inspecting authority.

Last edited:
I see no issues with the setup you are describing. Go for it!

Thanks for the replies, just don't want my buddy to have his blow up or burn down.

Neither do we!

That gas line is more likely to be overheated sitting out in the blazing sun than by that chimney. It's an impossible senerio if you give it a few inches clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.