Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishin

Aug 26, 2008
VA
A fews years ago I bought a used 2000 woodburning insert and just installed it directly into the fireplace. Of course, it didn't draw well, without the liner, so I took it out. I have a couple buddies that have real old woodstoves installed the same way and they say they work good.

I hate to spend $1200 on a liner so I was thinking of buying an older model and trying it that way. One guy said the chimney sweep said his chimney looked fine even after burning for 5 years without being cleaned. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Seems a shame to go backward, particularly if you have a good insert. What is the make and model? A liner is not a big deal. If your insert is of high quality a liner can make a huge difference both in performance and cleaner burning.

Upside: Older stoves don't require as much draft (no reburn technology)
Downside: They are creosote machines, unless you burn it roaring hot ALL THE TIME you WILL be creating creosote, most have chimney fires to "clean" out the chimney and are ignorant to that fact.

Install the newer insert and run the liner, unless you are quoting an insulated liner your costs should be much less if you do it yourself.

You are also looking at going from 75-80% efficiency down to 35-40% efficiency with the old style stoves. The extra wood used would pay for the liner in no time and also you'll have less work cutting, less trips into the house with wood, and less storage space required for your wood.

However, if you are burning poor wood, you won't get good results no matter which stove you try to burn it in. Make sure you wood is at least a year old after it has been split. If it is oak, make it 3 years. You need to learn the different types of wood and the proper amount of time to let them dry and also learn they don't dry much at all until it has been split. Then it needs to be stacked outside in the wind!

Reactions: CenterTree
Status
Not open for further replies.