Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeSayImHandsome

Apr 12, 2016
Poconos
this might be a stupid question. but i just bought a new wood burning stove. englander 30-NCH beautiful stove. i own a 2 story home. my plan is to put the stove in the kitchen area because we are on a slab and its also tiled so it gets really cold down there. we will be replacing a kerosene monitor..

my question is the easier thing for me to do would be through wall chimney then up pass roof. but does a chimney have to go all the way pass roof? since being on a 2 story and the stove will be pretty much in the basement area its going to cost me a pretty penny for all the piping

Yup got to clear the highest roof within a certain number of feet by a couple feet. I bet the pipe ends up costing more than the stove. Should warm the slab right in front of the stove nicely mine does.

The pipe needs to be at least 2' above the roof and 10' lateral away from the roof. It is best to clear the ridge line. Rockford chimney has a class a pipe with a galvalume outer shell that will cut the cost down a bit. https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rock-vent-class-a-chimney-pipe-304l-inner-galvalume-outer.php

i ordered this from homedepot to get me started. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraVent...all-Chimney-Stove-Vent-Kit-6DP-KTTW/100180192

the stove in the house. where located the pipe is going to come up almost next to the peak of the roof. so 2 feet above that should be ok? being 10ft away from that is not possible for that location. also right out that wall i have the house chimney. but its not a brick chimney i do not think. is there anyway to tap into that? go out and sideways into the house chimney? i have vinyl siding

The pipe needs to be at least 2' above the roof and 10' lateral away from the roof. It is best to clear the ridge line. Rockford chimney has a class a pipe with a galvalume outer shell that will cut the cost down a bit. https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rock-vent-class-a-chimney-pipe-304l-inner-galvalume-outer.php

No. It needs to be at LEAST three feet above the roof line - on the highest side - & two feet higher than anything within 10 feet.
The correct formula is to take the top number (rise) of the roof, multiply in by 10 & add 24. This will give you the height to the cap in inches. If your chimney is LESS than 10 feet from the peak, THAT distance is mutiplied by the rise.

No. It needs to be at LEAST three feet above the roof line - on the highest side - & two feet higher than anything within 10 feet.
The correct formula is to take the top number (rise) of the roof, multiply in by 10 & add 24. This will give you the height to the cap in inches. If your chimney is LESS than 10 feet from the peak, THAT distance is mutiplied by the rise.

the pipe will come up about 1ft away from the ridge.

this guy works out to be way more money. nice guy but wants 212 dollars for 4 ft of stainless steel. home depot dura vent reduced price 3ft 7 pieces 475 total

i need you guys opinion. i was thinking of putting this thing in the kitchen area. the kitchen is on a slab and about 400 sq. i also have a 250 sq. room next to the kitchen. do you think i should install the stove in that room so the kitchen area doesnt get too toasty hot

could anyone tell me what the difference between these 2? i cant seem to find any
One is the new lower price the other is not. If you are using simpson products i would strongly recommend spending the little extra and getting the double wall duravent instead of the triple wall dura plus. It is much better pipe.

One is the new lower price the other is not. If you are using simpson products i would strongly recommend spending the little extra and getting the double wall duravent instead of the triple wall dura plus. It is much better pipe.

do they sell this at homedpot? i do not see it?

they want like 1900 bucks for 22ft install. def not lol
Yes and there is a reason that pipe is so cheap. Especially on an outside chimney you will be fighting to maintain proper temps in the chimney. It will work and the pipe is safe but double wall will work allot better

Reactions: Lake Girl
i get what your saying. lets see how this works out
There are lots of people that use dura plus and it works ok but from experience i can tell you there is typically allot more buildup in triple wall chimneys than double. If that is all you can afford go for it but be aware it will probably need more cleaning and be harder to start.

There are lots of people that use dura plus and it works ok but from experience i can tell you there is typically allot more buildup in triple wall chimneys than double. If that is all you can afford go for it but be aware it will probably need more cleaning and be harder to start.

thats all my budget called for right now other wise i would take you up on your advice

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.