1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chimney Question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Leslielou, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Leslielou

Leslielou New Member

Hi All -

Our installers want to install our chimney close to the house and then install a 90 to go around the soffit.

Husband and I thought it wasn't a good idea (how do you clean a 90?) but installer said this was the way to go, vs. having the chimney come out far enough to miss the soffit in the first place. The soffit is too small to have the flue go through it.

Anyone have any words of advice?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. southbalto

southbalto Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mid-Atlantic
    This is a class a metal chimney that's being installed, correct? If so, the only approved offsets are 15 and 30 degree. I have seen instances where they are used to get around the soffit.
  3. Leslielou

Leslielou New Member

Yes, it is a class A metal chimney. OK - so as long as it's 15 or 30 degrees then it will be ok - it doesn't sound nearly as bad as we had envisioned? We didn't ask about what angle the offset would be, we just assumed it would be sharp.

ETA: I was wrong - installer told husband it would be 15 degree, he didn't mention that .
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Brushes should do a 15 degree turn without any issues.

Matt
  5. Leslielou

Leslielou New Member

Thank you!