Chimney Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreihart

Aug 2, 2007
Central PA
I'm somewhat new to wood burning so please forgive me if I don't use correct terminology. I'm putting a wood boiler in the basement and will be using an existing flue. The flue was built with a 12" square (terra cotta?, clay?) liner and also has a 9" square SS insert. Originally the flue was used for a wood stove that was on the first floor and it hasn't been used for about 20 years. I'll need to knock a hole through the block foundation wall to access from the basement.

I guess my first issue is, can I use the flue as is or would I be better off to use a 6" liner? The oulet of the boiler is 6". If I use as is, how should I seal off the outlet from the first floor. Currently its just blocked off with 2" thick insulation board. If I need a liner, I will probably go with 6" rigid.

Also, when I exit the basement through the block wall, how should that be sealed?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Ideally, a 6" liner would be best - but lots of factors come into play. We don't know your climate zone, the height of the chimney, etc.

We don't know the boiler type, nor it's chimney suggestions (in the manual, etc.).....

Is there an airspace or insulation between the square liner and the original flue tile?

Is the entire chimney structure on the exterior of the house.

Personally, I would have to take all of this into account before making too many suggestions.

I think some real investigation is required. To me ,finding a rectangular steel liner inside the masonry one, probably means there was a very damaging chimney fire.

I would want to figure what that fire and heat did to the structural part of your chimney. I would not assume anything.

Live in central PA. Boiler is a BioMax from New Horizon, similar to an EKO. The manual suggests 6". The chimney is on the exterior of the house and I'm pretty sure there is no insulation between the SS liner and the original tile, just air space.

Thanks, Rob.

Elk,

My family has always owned the house. I was a kid, maybe 5 years old or so, when my dad put up the chimney. I think even a small flue fire would stand out to me, but I don't think there ever was any. Dad died a few years later, so I don't know if the SS liner was original, but I'm thinking it probably was.

Thanks, Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.