1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

CHIMNEY REPAIR?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Todd, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Question on chimney repairs. I've lived in this house for 4 years now, and every year I notice more pieces of brick falling off my chimney. I've plugged some of the holes up with mortar, but every year there is more damage. The chimney was built in 1975 and I think it is concrete block with a brick fascia? If I go the tuck pointing route I'd be doing it every year. What about some kind of cement covering right over the bricks? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Yes, I'm in a freeze thaw zone. It's more like the bricks are crumbling apart, not the mortar.
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    When bricks chip away like that isn't it called spalding? Aren't the bricks essentially rotted?
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    That's what it is "brick spalling" Crapola, So what do you think, can I cover it all up with some kind of stucko or cement, or just rebuild sometime in the future.
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Did they use "used" brick to build the fireplace?

If so, they might be "rotting".

In many chimneys, the brick may be the ONLY wall (around flue tile) - not on top of block. You can check this by measuring at the top around the flue tile to determine thickness.
  6. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I'd be worried the pressure could just pop out the stucco. I suspect if you used wire lath and fastened it well before stucco, then it might hold.

Others here might know more about masonry....

Oh, make certain your crown is sealed well - moisture getting in there could seep down into the bricks and then freeze/thaw and break them up.
  7. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Don't know if the brick was used or not, but its the same brick inside and out.

The chimney brick looks like it is used as a fascia around concrete block. Don't think it's structural.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.