Chimney Replacement Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thanley

Dec 31, 2011
Central Indiana
Sorry for so many questions; but between Selkirk tech support and here I'm making slow progress.

Long story short; 32 foot chase from ground to ceiling; ripped out old Heatilator ZC and am installing a Kozyheat Z42.

Obviously with that means ripping out the old chimney and installing Selkirk Supervent piping.

Questions:
1. whats the best way to get the old chimney out? You can see from the picture that there is a larger fixed metal pipe and a smaller piece inside that actually moves up and down and had been anchored to the old ZC before removal.
2. The chase doesn't have any access; attic included. Only ways in are from the roof top or the giant hole in the wall right now. What I noticed when I got in there though was even though there are firestops installed on the old unit there are still some gaps between the wood they used and the framing on the sides? Thoughts?
3. I've got two firestops for the fact it's a two story house even though there is no chase access, they are still required, right?
4. Best way to get the rigid metal piping and firestop removed for the new chimney?
5. With no access besides top and bottom; whats the best way to get the chimney in...from the top or the bottom?

Take a look at the pictures; and thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 119
thanley said:
Sorry for so many questions; but between Selkirk tech support and here I'm making slow progress.

Long story short; 32 foot chase from ground to ceiling; ripped out old Heatilator ZC and am installing a Kozyheat Z42.

Obviously with that means ripping out the old chimney and installing Selkirk Supervent piping.

Questions:
1. whats the best way to get the old chimney out? You can see from the picture that there is a larger fixed metal pipe and a smaller piece inside that actually moves up and down and had been anchored to the old ZC before removal.
2. The chase doesn't have any access; attic included. Only ways in are from the roof top or the giant hole in the wall right now. What I noticed when I got in there though was even though there are firestops installed on the old unit there are still some gaps between the wood they used and the framing on the sides? Thoughts?
3. I've got two firestops for the fact it's a two story house even though there is no chase access, they are still required, right?
4. Best way to get the rigid metal piping and firestop removed for the new chimney?
5. With no access besides top and bottom; whats the best way to get the chimney in...from the top or the bottom?

Take a look at the pictures; and thanks for your help.

I've done 20 or so of these & it's a two-man job to remove the old vent safely.
First thing we'd do BEFORE removing the ZC box, is to secure the old vent to
the chase framing with plumber's strapping & ZIP screws to take the weight off
the top of the ZC box & to allow for its safe removal without the vent crashing down...
You will hafta get up top & remove the cap, & maybe the chase top if there is one.
Once the cap is off the venting should be movable within the firestops. Keep
the outer liner secured with the straps & lower the inner sections first, stopping
at a seam & with one guy holding the section ABOVE that seam. Bend or knock
them apart one by one. Make sure you're wearing heavy leather gloves as any
exposed sharp edges will slice you DEEPLY. Once the inner liner is out, then you
can start lowering the outer liner & disassemble it the same way.
Install the Class A chimney from the bottom. It's bull work & will become even more
so as more sections have to be added. Run some 2x4s across the walls & cut some small
2x4s as cross pieces so you can rest the chimney on them in between adding sections &
so you don't hafta stand & hold the weight for too long. It'll alos serve as a resting spot so
you can get the appliance into position underneath the chimney...
Hope my instructions are somewhat clear! If not answer back or PM me...

Status
Not open for further replies.