Chimney repointing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Here’s some pics of my chimney. Mortar seems mostly intact but if I run my finger over mortar, some sand sized bits start to erode. I’ve never repointed masonry myself so wanted to see if this is a reasonable DIY project. House is built on 1977.
The crown is another thing. 10 yrs since the crown was made. Cracking as seen in the pics. Also, could this be a reasonable DIY project?

IMG_3643.jpeg IMG_3644.jpeg IMG_3645.jpeg IMG_3648.jpeg IMG_3647.jpeg IMG_3646.jpeg

Just wanted to bump this thread into existence

May fit the DIY forum better?

I have a decorative brick wall out front with crumbling mortar, so I was looking into this recently. All I know is what I found via Google. Read a couple things, watched a couple videos. The only link I saved was this one:

Just wanted to bump this thread into existence
The mortar honestly doesn't look bad to me but it's hard to tell from pics. The crown definitely needs redone with expansion joints around the clay tiles.

Reactions: Ashful
I don’t think I’d be repointing that mortar. It looks fine to me. Those cracks in the crown are letting in water.

It is certainly a diy job.

Reactions: Ashful
Mortar looks ok to me. I believe There is sand in most mortar, so it could be actual sand that’s wiping away. I would prob give the crown some attention tho based on those cracks

I just want to say my crown looks similar. I sealed it and the brick with some chimney seal. Hopefully holds up for some time.

Perhaps a custom tin flashing over the crown would fix it up. Forever.

Any tin basher could make it. Or even a diy job with a sheet of galvanized and a small brake.

Reactions: weee123
A new crown is about $8 of mortar, a gallon of water, and an old 5 gallon bucket.

I have all the sheet metal and brakes I’d need to do this, but would still do it in mortar.

Heck, those cracks are tight enough you could probably string the old crown on for years by rubbing slurry down into the cracks to plug them, but why, the correct fix will only cost $10 and an hour. It takes longer to paint a bedroom.

Indeed, but it will crack again. I do appreciate the 10.00 vs 100.00 fix tho.

Any tin basher could make it. Or even a diy job with a sheet of galvanized and a small brake.
A tin cap won't fix it forever. It will start to rust pretty quickly

Indeed, but it will crack again. I do appreciate the 10.00 vs 100.00 fix tho.
Not if done properly with fiber reinforced concrete a bond break between the chimney and crown. And an expansion joint around the liners. It will be there until the concrete erodes away.

Here, most crowns overhang the brick with a drip line on the underside of the overhang. My guess is that what your seeing on the brick is from the water running down the brick vs dripping from the crown overhang. With your short chimney it shouldn't be too bad of a job to attempt yourself. To re-form ad pour a nee crown. Biggest risk would be falling off the roof typically.

Here, most crowns overhang the brick with a drip line on the underside of the overhang. My guess is that what your seeing on the brick is from the water running down the brick vs dripping from the crown overhang. With your short chimney it shouldn't be too bad of a job to attempt yourself. To re-form ad pour a nee crown. Biggest risk would be falling off the roof typically.
Thanks for the info. I can access the chimney from on top of the garage. Roof not steep so not so bad.