Chimney Scare. Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burning smallish fire since 8:00 PM this eve. Trying to keep it well under control. Currently the stove thermometer which is in the air vent at front is recording 350 and the hottest temp I record with the IR is 359 at the flue collar. Barely kicking on the secondaries. Recorded 400 on the door but can't seem to duplicate the reading (this IR thing is a little funny).

Checking all night can't see any problems.

One very cool thing, the heat is just rolling out of the lower room where the stove is and going right up to the other parts of the house. Can feel it as you stand at the top of the stairs. This was my hope otherwise I was going to cook myself right out of the room. Hope this first impression holds true.

Sounds like you are one of those lucky burners that bought a house where the stairs go up from the kitchen/family room. I didn't. Mine go up from the front door. Makes getting the heat upstairs a challenge.

BrotherBart said:
Sounds like you are one of those lucky burners that bought a house where the stairs go up from the kitchen/family room. I didn't. Mine go up from the front door. Makes getting the heat upstairs a challenge.

It's a split, 5 stairs up from den where stove is, no door or arch to stop heat from getting to living room and kitchen. Then right up 5 more stairs to the bedroom hall. The baseboard heat did the same thing so I figured that would be the case but you never know.

Thanks for sticking with this one BB, little freaked out there for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.