Chimney set up question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I am in a process of building a new cottage and at this point I need to start thinking what stove I want and how to set up the system.

I have stove questions, but these I will post in the BK thread.

This will be a basement installation with a through wall exit. Total length of the system will be about 23' of 6" pipe. Five feet of double wall from the stove to the wall and the rest along the side of the house stainless steel (excel pipe). about three feet past the flat roof of the house.

Questions:

Should I install a clean out?

Is it possible to install a thimble on a 45* angle?
If not then I will have to install two 45s (three feet past the stove) and then likely a 90 past the thimble on the outside. That will substantially reduce my draft....

Cheers

You will need to exit the wall with a piece of chimney horizontally through the thimble. Outside will be a Tee, it will have a Clean out cap on the bottom of it.

Any chance of going straight up and keeping the chimney within the envelope of the house? Yes systems are poor performers and can be very problematic in a basement.

Thanks Webby

No chance on going straight. I would have to modify my master bedroom....going from king size bed to two singles with a pipe in between.... wife might actually like that!

Ok. So I can go through the wall on a 45*! Perfect. As long as I use the stainless pipe going through the thimble.
That would eliminate the dreadful 90* past the wall.

And the cleannout is a good idea you say...?

No you can’t go out the wall at 45, you will have to go straight through. The tee will have a cleanout cap on the bottom of it.

Yeah, I just reread your post. Bummer.

The stove will have OAK, plus there will be no other appliances that would compete for air.

What is the formula again? For every one 90* elbow I loose two feet pipe for draft purposes.

I am thinking of going with the Chinook but I am very cautious regarding the draft requirements and the smoke smell fiasco (that some members experience).

The OAK can’t terminate above the floor of the firebox. Keep that in mind.

I don’t recall anyone with a chinook having any “smell problem”

If not then I will have to install two 45s (three feet past the stove) and then likely a 90 past the thimble on the outside. That will substantially reduce my draft....

I will be at a friends house today with a BK Princess basement install. No OAK. Uninsulated basement. Open stairwell on one end of basement that leads to a kitchen and living room on one side of the home. 2 bedrooms and bath on the other side. He loves his BK for the extended burning season, less wood etc.
However during this below zero weather he is running the stove much like his former tube stove. Hard! To keep the upstairs at 70F. His setup is straight up from stove. 90 elbow. Horizontal to the through wall and 90 "T" outside. No 45's. It works fine. It did backdraft at cold startup a time or two in very warm weather but has not been a huge issue. It has been running since late Oct. Solid. If I remember I'll get a few pics.

Reactions: Diabel
The OAK can’t terminate above the floor of the firebox. Keep that in mind.

I don’t recall anyone with a chinook having any “smell problem”

This is not a typical basement. The house sits on a steep hill so 1/2 of the basement is above grade. Good info on the OAK height in relation to the box floor. I need all the professional info I can get before I let the "professionals" (WETT cert.) install the system. Based on the experiences of many individuals here, there are good installers and not so good out there.

Yes, mainly Ashford owners (some) have complained about the smoke issue. I figured, Chinook being the same stove in a different jacket might have the same potential problem.

It would suck going from an ocassionally backpuffing VC (user caused) to potentially smoke seeping BK (perhaps user caused as well).