Chimney sparks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I went out tonight to get another load of wood and noticed a few sparks coming from the chimney.
The cat was not yet engaged and i asked the wife if she was stirring the fire.
She was "moving around a few logs". Once the cat was up to temp and engaged the sparks stopped.
I am sure i just caught it as she stirred the fire causing a few sparks.
I just have the chimney cap that came with the liner, should i be using something else?
I am not really concerned about starting something on fire the sparks only made it a few feet from the cap before going out.
I can see how this could happen, but is it normal?
Any recommendations on a spark arrestor? Thanks for any help.

bfunk13 said:
I went out tonight to get another load of wood and noticed a few sparks coming from the chimney.
The cat was not yet engaged and i asked the wife if she was stirring the fire.
She was "moving around a few logs". Once the cat was up to temp and engaged the sparks stopped.
I am sure i just caught it as she stirred the fire causing a few sparks.
I just have the chimney cap that came with the liner, should i be using something else?
I am not really concerned about starting something on fire the sparks only made it a few feet from the cap before going out.
I can see how this could happen, but is it normal?
Any recommendations on a spark arrestor? Thanks for any help.
I had a spark arrestor cap on my tile chimney. It just cut the draft, not good for my stove, and was a source of creosote in all the holes because it was so cold. Took in off and the chimney stays clean and safe. Course if you have a cedar shingle roof or some other fire problem a cap would be necessary. Be safe.
Ed

No cedar shingles.
Bump

If your chimney isn't real tall I'd say it was just you were happening to look up at the same time your wife was stirring the coals.

I used to have a screen that went around the opening of my chimney cap, but I remove it now during burning season. The first year I kept it on, and it became a location for creasote to build up on, which negatively impacted my draft. Now I only put it on at the end of burning season to keep the birds out.

Status
Not open for further replies.