Chimney swept and inspected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Got the chimney liner swept and inspected and am happy to report the Alderlea T-5 is burning clean as there was only some fluffy ash in the stove pipe and liner :)

Ray

thats a great way to start your burning season, peace of mind...good for you

Reactions: ScotO
For peace of mind it's worth doing.. I had problems with my old catalytic large CDW creating creosote even with a good cat so I decided to upgrade to this stove and the results speak for themselves..

Ray

Good for you, I did my chimney today as well. Its a good feeling knowing your all ready. Be well

Reactions: raybonz
Ray, it seems that I remember you got a big load of wood last year but I don't remember what kind of wood you got. I also know you are one who knows enough to burn good dry wood. Good man.

Reactions: raybonz
Ray, it seems that I remember you got a big load of wood last year but I don't remember what kind of wood you got. I also know you are one who knows enough to burn good dry wood. Good man.
Thanx Dennis I had wise teachers! I had ~3 cords delivered consisting of hard maple,red oak, a little ash. I attribute a chimney with fluffy ash to a few things:

• Good dry firewood (by far the most important thing)
  • Good burning techniques (keep a lively fire with enough air)
  • Good draft (see above item)
  • Good stove doing its thing (any decent EPA stove will do)
Ray

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I cleaned both of mine this weekend. The old Buck was almost as good as the new Hampton. Just shows that you can even burn the old dogs pretty efficiently if done right and good wood.

Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
Completed my pre-season screen removal and brushing over the weekend as well. Low 40's tomorrow night and Wednesday night. Might knock the dust off the ole Endeavor with some pine kindling and uglies.

Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
Hey, Ray, nice to hear from you. Nice, too, to hear the good flue report. I got a few cups of flakes and powder when I brushed mine in the Spring. I'll have a little more than some folks, due to having the flex liner which collects a bit more. My wood is drier this year so I expect to do better. I brushed out three flues at my in-laws' over the weekend. My BIL's downstairs stove had just a handful of powder burning from December on. He's burning my old smoke dragon over there through 25' insulated rigid liner. I've got him burning it hot...

I need to get on the roof for that, among other things, but every time I can get a minute to do it, the rain begins. Every time.

Hi Woody good to hear from you as well! I too have an insulated flex liner (Ventinox). Having dry wood makes all the difference and you'll stay warmer as well :) Sounds like your BIL is doing fine too! Those Woodstock stoves burn nice and clean too and can do it at low heat levels which on my stove requires small hot fires. Last winter was too warm for woodburning 24/7 here and made clean burning more of a challenge especially for my 1st season with this stove..I will be in NH (Harts Location and one other place) Columbus Day weekend and plan on visiting Fryeburg Fair too..

Ray

I need to get on the roof for that, among other things, but every time I can get a minute to do it, the rain begins. Every time.

I had a feeling if I didn't get on the roof over the weekend, I'd be in same situation, Kat. And now they're calling for 5" of rain over the next 12 hours in some locations here on the Plateau. Sometimes we go into these cool, soggy cycles in the fall that seem to last through November. Makes trips to and from the shed that much messier. Maybe you'll get a break in the weather soon. I'm going to check the rain gauge in the early morning to see if we're at 5" and overflowing!

Yes, we are destined for buckets of rain too. Unfortunately the sheepdog forgot his manners , pulled three eggs off the counter, and ate them in luxury on the boy's bed :mad: . Now there's a pile of eggy blankets and no drying weather in sight (I don't have a dryer).

Yes, we are destined for buckets of rain too. Unfortunately the sheepdog forgot his manners , pulled three eggs off the counter, and ate them in luxury on the boy's bed :mad: . Now there's a pile of eggy blankets and no drying weather in sight (I don't have a dryer).
I have a clothes horse I use to dry all my washing, once the stove is going, when it is inclement or freezing out. They work wonderfully. Put everything on the thing in front of the stove in the evening, and it's all dry the next morning....Works well without the stove heat as well, but takes longer...

Well, I just poured 4.5" out of the rain gauge this morning. Now we're waiting on the cold front to arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.